Forum

Author Topic: Face counter number  (Read 8938 times)

fpbv

• View Profile
Face counter number
« on: June 30, 2011, 09:16:28 PM »
Guys

I am facing this situation:

I have some large sets of photos, some of more than 200 imagery, each one with 21.1 megapixel and I always think the 200.000 face counter number is somewhat limiting.
I mean, I want to know how to setup this for the aerial photos because the DEM is required to have very realistic details.
For terrestrial photogrammetric data set I realized this is not a big issue, except if your set is as large as aerial.
I did a test this past weekend setting this to 0 to a set with 116 imagery and gave a outstanding 13 milion vertices and took 89 hours to render. And quite a heavy data to deal. But very realistic one.
I understand you can decimate this, and I do that, but what is the ideal number to set before you do the decimate?

I hope to hear from you soon.

Fabricio

IanJohnson

• View Profile
Re: Face counter number
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 10:16:17 PM »
My understanding is that the face count you set in the Build Geometry dialog is the target for decimation after the mesh has been built.  It will always create 13 million faces for your photo set.  You can set it 500k, and it will do the decimation after the build, or you can set it to 0 and do the decimation yourself with Tools/Decimate with the same result.

If you prefer your mesh to be a certain size, like 500k faces, you can take this approach- Set the target to 0 so you get a 13 million face mesh.  Delete the geometry you don't need and then decimate.  That way your 500k faces are spread over only the area you want, giving more detail.  If you set the target in the Build Geometry dialog, the 500k faces will be used for the entire raw mesh.

Diego

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 10:20:47 PM »
You yourself have the answer, each set of data is very different, is not the same terrestrial photogrammetry aerial photogrammetry, also depends on the number of photographs in the project, and also depends on the terrain, is not the same mountainous terrain and steeply to a flat terrain. So it depends.

Regards,

Diego

fpbv

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 04:28:13 PM »
Very nice to hear from you.

But of your experiences what are doing regarding this?
I mean, how many face counter are you setting?

Thanks in advance.

GPC

• View Profile
    • Geopro
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 03:03:38 AM »
Hi Fabricio,
I was wondering, what are the specs of your computer that you are doing this processing with? CPUs, RAM, OS, etc? What alignment accuracy and processing accuracy are you using?

I ordered 16GB of ram today for my new i7 computer, but up to this point have been running out of memory with 8gb. I am hoping that the 16 will improve the speed and stop the limitations of photos.
Thanks.
Chad
When things get weird, the weird turn pro.

fpbv

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 08:36:16 PM »
Hi Chad

Pretty much you are talking about, 16 G and 2 T in HD.
I am looking for some a special computer with 4 i7 core and 48-96 G RAM. My clients need some faster delivery...

Cheers.