Forum

Author Topic: Cross-section-based pointcloud editing  (Read 6730 times)

andyroo

• View Profile
Cross-section-based pointcloud editing
« on: November 10, 2013, 12:44:29 PM »
I know photoscan is primarily a pointcloud/surface production tool, and not an editing tool, but for producing DSMs from aerial imagery it would be great to have some more powerful dense point cloud editing tools to clean up data before producing a mesh.

I know it's probably too much to ask for surface-finding filters and conditional selection tools, but I wonder if a simple 2D editing mode might be possible.

One feature I love in CARIS for cleaning up seafloor mapping data before producing DEMs is the cross-section editing tool in the swath editor, where I can choose a window width along a survey track, then edit data on a 2-axis cross-section plot and step through each survey line (attached image, taken from page 11 of this PDF).

If PS had the ability to draw an adjustable-width slice through the ground plane (or any plane) and edit those data in "cross-section" mode with the existing editing tools, I could much more easily clean up noise in my data. Other point cloud editors I have found that can handle >300 million-point-clouds cost $5 000 - $10 000+, and still don't offer tools that work well with SfM data.

Also, I am glad to see the changes that have happened since I started using PhotoScan. Thanks for all of your hard work, and your accessibility to the users. You make a great product. I love PhotoScan :)

keyable

• View Profile
Re: Cross-section-based pointcloud editing
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 10:51:01 AM »
Great future to consider! I also want this future, I use additional software just for THIS feature.

toxicmag

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 01:56:53 PM »
This would be very useful, indeed. I asked for it already some time ago, because it's hard to pick the right points/areas when you want to edit manually and have complex pointcloud-structures... You will always pick other stuff as well and you twist and turn your model like crazy to just select a small piece....   ;)

I would support this request.
#multirotor #VTOL #Trinity #Quantum-Systems #a6000 #a7R #RedEdge #ALTUM #RX1II

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2017, 04:57:19 PM »
Hello,

Have you tried the feature of 1.4.0 pre-release that allows to hide all the points except the selected ones? It is named "Filter points by selection" and is available from the drop-down menu next to the Dense Cloud button on the toolbar.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC