Forum

Author Topic: model export to obj, coordinates truncated  (Read 10657 times)

JanS

• View Profile
model export to obj, coordinates truncated
« on: August 14, 2011, 11:29:21 PM »
Hi,

When I export my model in UTM coordinates to .obj, all X and Y coordinates (not Z) are truncated to integer values (rounded off at the meter). This does not occur when exporting to .ply (so I have a work around using Meshlab). It also doesn't occur when exporting the points to .obj.

Best regards,

Jan

Matt

• View Profile
Re: model export to obj, coordinates truncated
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 08:00:40 AM »
Hi jan,

I have encountered the same problem. You can either use the meshlab approach or use local coordinates. You may also encounter the binning of one set of the coordinates into 10 m intervals with high density models in projected geographic coordinates (UTM).  Alexey indicated this would be solved in the most recent release but I havnt had a chance to test it out yet.

JanS

• View Profile
Re: model export to obj, coordinates truncated
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 12:46:15 AM »
Hi jan,

I have encountered the same problem. You can either use the meshlab approach or use local coordinates. You may also encounter the binning of one set of the coordinates into 10 m intervals with high density models in projected geographic coordinates (UTM).  Alexey indicated this would be solved in the most recent release but I havnt had a chance to test it out yet.

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the reply. Local would indeed be another option, but we want to use the model for showing in CAD/GIS software so we'd have to apply the matrix rotation from local to UTM in postprocessing. I was using 0.8.3pre-release.

Best regards,

Jan