Forum

Author Topic: 1980s Shipwreck Excavation - help with camera calibration?  (Read 9339 times)

ThomasVD

• View Profile
Hi Agisoft users!

In the 1980s and early 90s Dutch archaeologists attempted to record the wreck of a 17th century trading ship (the Aanloop Molengat site) with photogrammetry. However due to the technical limitations of the time and some problems with the captured pictures, photogrammetry never really worked out.

Using Agisoft Photoscan I now hope to reuse the original pictures to finally create a 3D model of the site. However the pictures were obviously captured analogue, printed and then scanned digitally some years later (-> the data I have now) so no EXIF data is available. The alignment results are quite bad for the time being, but by adding the camera parameters I hope to improve alignment results.

What I know is:
- the pictures were taken in stereopairs
- the cameras used are described as "Hasselblad / Ocean Optics MC-70"
- the camera had a 47mm wide angle lens, covering 94° diagonally underwater
- the film used was a "70 x 60mm format slide positive film"
- the operating distance was set to a maximum of 1.5m due to lack of visibility and light

This info comes mainly from the caption beneath the first picture of this article: https://www.academia.edu/925308/Archaeological_Mapping_A_Sub-North_Sea_Experiment

Does anyone have any idea how/whether I can translate this info into useful camera calibration settings for Agisoft Photoscan?
It would be really cool to generate a 3D model of an archaeological site using this type of old "legacy data" so I would be really grateful for any advice you may have on the topic!!

Sincerely,

Thomas Van Damme
Maritime Archaeology student at the University of Southern Denmark

(update) ADDITIONAL INFO:

- Aanloop Molengat site plan: https://easy.dans.knaw.nl/ui/resources/easy/content?sid=dans-jumpoff:6256&did=JOF_veldtekening_scheepswrak_A4.jpg

- Sample of a stereopair (after scanning of the original analogue pictures): http://www.mediafire.com/view/4hhfps53i5do1g6/102-003N.jpg and http://www.mediafire.com/view/4buo6014e2svayz/102-003Z.jpg
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 10:55:24 AM by ThomasVD »

Wishgranter

• View Profile
    • Museum of Historic Buildings
Re: 1980s Shipwreck Excavation - help with camera calibration?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 11:36:54 AM »
Interesting project..

Read PM......
----------------
www.mhb.sk

bigben

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 01:32:12 AM »
You could use EXIFTool to fake the camera/lens metadata, but there would still be some problems with images not being positioned consistently relative to the lens. the images would have to at least be cropped to exactly the same size and centred as best as possible. It would be useful to know which specific metadata fields Agisoft's uses.
Certainly a number of challenges with these images but it will be interesting to see what you get.

Not necessarily practical (nor something that would be my first attempt here) but I've wondered if it would be possible to use Stereoscan to create multiple point clouds for stereo pairs and align/combine them in Meshlab.

David Cockey

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 07:33:55 PM »

Not necessarily practical (nor something that would be my first attempt here) but I've wondered if it would be possible to use Stereoscan to create multiple point clouds for stereo pairs and align/combine them in Meshlab.
How would that be an improvement on what PhotoScan does in Build Dense Cloud? PhotoScan finds pairs of photos with sufficient overlap and alignment and then creates a dense point cloud for each pair of photos. It then combines the individual point clouds into a single point cloud. The algorithms  PhotoScan uses have improved since the last release of StereoScan.

Wishgranter

• View Profile
    • Museum of Historic Buildings
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 08:06:03 PM »
Ok have replied with PM.... BigBen - good comment on the problematic. Have tested the dataset and there is the biggest problem that every photo have different size + black framing is missing = bad scann data... could not align most of the data.... they are bad quality - sharpness, contrast and there is a lot of bad lighting a "light tunnel" = vignetting.....
----------------
www.mhb.sk

eddiethemartian

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2014, 11:57:28 PM »
I don't think it's worth pursuing this project!  The images are completely unsuitable for photoscan - they're too soft, they've been lit with flash and therefore have inconsistent lighting, there are dust spots on the scans and backscatter in the water - the list goes on. 

It's just possible that you could derive some measurements from a few marked points, but I think the problems are just a bit too fundamental.  It's a shame, it would be a very interesting project.

Regards,

Eddie.

bigben

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 12:55:41 AM »

How would that be an improvement on what PhotoScan does in Build Dense Cloud?

I didn't say that it would be an improvement. Just interesting to try. I tend to think out loud a lot   ;)  you never know what you learn when you try something.. I learnt a lot, for example, by seeing how good a  result I could squeeze out of a set of images with a GoPro.

ThomasVD

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 11:16:26 AM »
Thanks everyone for your feedback! (though I'm still unsure on how to translate the camera parameters into EXIF data haha?)

I've gotten some good results on at least parts of the site (see example in attachment), and have been able to add remaining unaligned pictures using manual insertion of markers, but the current procedure is just a bit too time-consuming.
As Wishgranter has mentioned I've been in contact with him and it might be an idea to contact the archives and have the film rescanned, this time with each picture at the same resolution and the black edges of the film included in the scans?

Regards,

Thomas

MaddyMac

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2014, 07:56:34 AM »
Hi Thomas,

I'm interested if you managed to make this work after all (with rescanning the negs)? I am about to start looking at some similar data for 3D reconstruction. However mine is c. 1970 black and white negatives.

Cheers,
Maddy

ThomasVD

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2014, 10:16:52 AM »
Dear Maddy,

Glad to hear other people are trying similar projects! If you want advice from someone with a lot of experience working with legacy data, I believe user Wishgranter (see above) is a good connection: he's worked on similar projects in a cultural heritage context and has helped a lot with this project. Since you're also a maritime archaeologist, David Cockey (again see above) is similarly super friendly and helpful, and has loads of experience working with modeling of historic vessels! With all this cultural heritage / maritime archaeology interest going to PhotoScan it might almost be worth setting up our own little user group?

As to your question, I have not had access to the original dias so no rescans were made BUT the two major "breakthroughs" (which I apparently failed to update here) were:
a) realization that pre-processing in Photoshop (or similar software) is very useful! Since my photos contained a lot of vignetting, with excessive highlights in the center and shadows at the borders of the picture, the main tool I used was Image > Adjustments > Shadows/Highlights. Additionally I did some sharpening using Filter > Sharpen > Unsharp Mask. After trying a few samples, all photos were processed together in Batch Process.
b) tip by Wishgranter to resize all photos to the same size: all pictures were scanned to different sizes, which is why PhotoScan attempted to calibrate them all individually, leading nowhere. However, by adding a simple black frame around each image I resized all images to slightly bigger than the biggest picture, and thus PhotoScan calibrated them all together, while ignoring the black border since no matches were found in that zone. Image resize and black border were again done in Photoshop with Batch Process.

=> example of initial picture http://www.mediafire.com/view/g42w0z0e6g6sv11/111-006N.jpg vs final output http://www.mediafire.com/view/7657j73883gotda/111-006N%20edited.jpg .

I've been busy with other stuff so I don't yet have a full 3D model of the site, but this methodology has enabled me to process at least very large chunks of the site at once, with nice results (where before I really got nowhere). There's some problems of insufficient overlap at certain points which of course can't be overcome by simple pre-processing but I'm quite confident that the final result will be good (perhaps using some manual chunk alignment). I'll try and remember to post an update once the whole set has been processed!

Hope this helps,
Cheers,

Tom

MaddyMac

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2014, 05:48:55 AM »
Thanks for the reply!

All sounds very interesting and I will take up your advice and have a chat to others. Interesting to hear that the pre-processing really helped for doing a large section in one go.

Cheers,
Maddy

ozbigben

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2014, 09:15:02 AM »
I am about to start looking at some similar data for 3D reconstruction. However mine is c. 1970 black and white negatives.

if you haven't scanned the negs yet, we've been using a Canon 5DmkII, 100mm macro f2.8 IS and lightbox to do this efficiently, with an effective resolution around 3800dpi. We use Adobe Bridge to do the initial colour adjustment and save as 16bit greyscale initially until the contrast adjustments and any processing are finalised.  The IS model of the macro lens is noticeably sharper than the earlier model (optically, not from the image stabiliser)