Forum

Author Topic: Undistort photos after align?  (Read 4057 times)

tcherno

• View Profile
Undistort photos after align?
« on: January 20, 2015, 05:24:00 AM »
Hi everyone,

I'm testing a workflow to scan a set with photoscan, and my friend and I are used to undistort photos before to use them in tracking softwares. To do so, we use Enwaï, a standalone and maya plugin that allows us to use a specific grid of distorsion for our specific cameras, with a lot of options (non linear undistort process, etc..). It's very powerfull and the result is very accurate, so we thought that it could be better to undistort photos before using them in photoscan.

But it seems that it doesn't work well if we give to photoscan undistorted photos to align.

I just want to be sure of the full process you recommend.

Do we just have to give photo (with distorsion) to photoscan, and then export undistorted photos after the align photo process, in order to camera map the model?

If this is the good way to use photoscan, what about your undistort process?
No offense, but I'm sceptical about the full automatic process, is it really as accurate as a process with a specific distorsion reference grid?

C.

bigben

• View Profile
Re: Undistort photos after align?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 08:19:18 AM »
If you're providing Photoscan with truly undistorted photos then you should check he "Fix Calibration" in Tools > Camera Calibration. This will stop PS from calculating distortion parameters.

But you don't need to undistort the images if you know what the distortion parameters are that Photoscan uses for that particular lens/image resolution.  If you want further accuracy, then use the Pro version and include control points at known positions

tcherno

• View Profile
Re: Undistort photos after align?
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 01:45:53 PM »
Thanks Bigben,

I'm going to try a calibration with the option Fix Calibration checked.
I come back soon for a feeback.