Forum

Author Topic: Save during long processing  (Read 8390 times)

pjenness

• View Profile
    • IMDB
Save during long processing
« on: January 29, 2015, 10:28:17 PM »

A feature I would love to see is a safe feature during the long processing steps (alignment, dense cloud etc)

I have a job which I am now running the dense cloud step.
When the job started , for the first few hours it estimated around 8-10 hours, which was ok,

Im on the Generating Dense Point Cloud Step
I am now 49% done, 32hr elapsed, 33 hours to go.

The main problem is, this is completely tying up my CPUs making it to risky to try to run anything else on my machine.

It would be great to have a save button in the progress window that basically takes a snapshot of where it is up to
a) so if it crashes I dont lose 32 hours processing time
b) if I needed to use the computer or reboot for some reason I can, and then continue again later.

Even if it has to snapshot al the memory in use (many GB) its still worth it, as once the process is compelete we can delete those in progress snapshot files.

Thanks!!

-P
Lead Environtment Artist
Weta Digital

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1473416/

MeHoo

• View Profile
Re: Save during long processing
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 06:50:14 AM »
my god yes...

I've recently moved, and the power has gone out three times during a 48+ hr scan, and each time I've lost everything with mere hours left.  I purchased the best backup UPSs money can buy now to get myself time to sleep the machine, but this doesn't guarantee photoscan works with that.  The option to handle this better with incremental saves behind the scenes maybe with some sort of "autoback" file would be nice.

jerry7171

• View Profile
    • Thingiverse Profile
Re: Save during long processing
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 01:06:57 PM »
I've often wondered why this wasn't a feature offered early on?! Still, hopefully someone will see this request and take it into consideration. Just like everyone else, there are times that my Mac gets almost overwhelmed and I don't dare try to do anything else lest it crash or freeze. Periodic project backups that run in the background would be wonderful.