Forum

Author Topic: How do i increase texture quality  (Read 12504 times)

Time

• View Profile
How do i increase texture quality
« on: April 03, 2015, 07:40:12 PM »
Hello,

so i scanned a clay sculpture of an eagle.
With 15 aligned masked photos i get 14000 tie point and a dense cloud of 5 million points.
However the textures of the created 3d polygon model with 2 million primitives look very  unsharp im comparison
to the dense point cloud model. Is there a way to increase the quality somehow in the Build Mesh settings?

Time

• View Profile
Re: How do i increase texture quality
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2015, 07:47:30 PM »
ok again i figured sth out before someone could answer. Ha.
This time i build the model from sparse cloud and then build the texture.
Really good result.

Exhale

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2015, 09:40:37 PM »
Good for you.  ;D
Stick on forums, you can find many useful tips ;)

excalibur

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 09:23:41 AM »
Hi!

I am new to this forum (was searching for some infos) and found your question. I have a solution. My background is from computer graphics and 3D design.

I have really large area (in real life scale) and huge mesh and was having problems with texture in the beggining. I guess you have only one mesh in Photoscan and you just export texture?

There are two things you can do:

1. Make larger texture. When you export texture default size is 4k (4096 in settings). Try to bring this value up - 16k (16384). This will make larger file -> larger texture. For better understanding open both textures in Photoshop and compare them. You will see difference. Keep in mind that this will slower your PC since it has to load huge texture.

2. More efficient approach to this problem is that you divide your mesh into multiple parts (more chunks if you want) and make textures (4k, 8k, 12k, 16k if you want) for each part.

Just try those 2 things and you will get better results :) it just need a bit of understanding about textures and CG :)

have a nice day.

igor73

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2015, 02:34:21 PM »
You can try decimating the mesh to a lower polygon count.  5 million is often to much for the tiled UV map and you get a pixalated result.  Try decimate down to 1-2 million and the result may improve. 

driftertravel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2015, 04:33:58 PM »
Also, take more than 15 pix. You're probably getting some stretching and junk from photoscan having to project the photos at weird angles. I usually take 30-36 images for a turnaround (12-15 degrees), may be overkill but still...

rogersame

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2020, 02:51:31 PM »
I am trying to make texture of a survey model of 1,000m x 500m, orthotophoto has resolution of 2.7cm/pix but building the texture with default texture size/count 4096 x 1 gives a very low resolution texture, then I tried texture size/count 16384 x 1 but the program generated a two colors only texture, now I am trying 4096 x 4 to see what happens