Forum

Author Topic: Multi-Tile UV/Texture Workflow w/keep uvs  (Read 5197 times)

driftertravel

• View Profile
Multi-Tile UV/Texture Workflow w/keep uvs
« on: April 17, 2015, 08:10:39 PM »
Hello all, I haven't tried this yet, so forgive me if it's a stupid question. I have a rather large project coming up (inside/outside of medium sized house for real-time applications) and, unlike most of what I have been doing, this will require quite a bit more than simply one texture map, as I can only use 4K maps in-engine and my target texel density is quite high. That being the case, I am quite used to using multiple uv spaces on a single model to up the texture quality, however, I'm not quite sure how to project multiple UV maps in photoscan. I know there is an option to make multiple uv maps in the texture generation process, but will this automatically recognize where the uv tiles are on the model when I select "keep uvs"?

The alternatives if "auto-magic" is not an option that I can think of are:
A. to to export an FBX with camera locations into mari and re-project the texture, but seeing as there will be thousands of images I'm not sure how viable that is...
B. Export a vertex colored FBX to ZBrush, reproject onto re-topologized model and use their multi-tile uv feature to bake textures from vertex colors. The problem here is I lose a lot of the texture quality with vertex colors that is the purpose of using photoscan in the first place, as well as the inevitable screw-ups with zbrush re-projection that either take forever or are impossible to clean up...
C. Export many copies of the retopo model with each set of uv's moved to the 0-1 space one at a time and bake textures one at a time... kind of a pain but should work.

Any thoughts?

solosails

• View Profile
Re: Multi-Tile UV/Texture Workflow w/keep uvs
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2020, 01:54:55 PM »
Hi,

This is more or less exactly the same question I need to answer as well -

I have started exporting the model, recreating the UV maps and bringing them back in for texturing, but now I would like to be able to use two maps so that I can have higher resolution image for selected uv maps - however, when you have the "keep UV" option selected in metashape, there is only an option to have one image texture -

Is it possible to import a model keep its UV map and assign textures to each UV map?

It is possible to texture in Metashape and use multiple texture maps, so seems odd it cannot be done the other way around -

Thanks.

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2020, 02:27:02 PM »
Hello solosails,

If the mesh has UV parametrization for several texture pages, you can go to Tools Menu -> Mesh -> View Mesh UVs dialog and load the image file for any texture page you want.

Building the texture using Keep UV option preserves the number of texture pages (the field is not selectable due to this reason).
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

solosails

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2020, 02:36:08 PM »
Hi,

That's perfect advice - thanks!