Forum

Author Topic: Vertices inside edges on mesh generation  (Read 4087 times)

Opparg

• View Profile
Vertices inside edges on mesh generation
« on: April 23, 2015, 08:04:26 PM »
Ok I have ran into an issue with mesh generation. It doesn't seem like it creates clean meshes. A common issue is that some vertices are pulled in inside other edges, creating overlapping edges/polygons.   This creates very sharp, harsh lines when I am cleaning up the texture in 3dcoat.  Most of the time I have to go in manually and locate each one of these in a 3d editor (currently Wings) and pull them out.  This can be really painful with big objects.

What is causing these kind of artifacts in the mesh generation, and is there any workaround for it, other than cleaning up every case where it happens?  It can happen even on fairly flat surfaces.

Wishgranter

• View Profile
    • Museum of Historic Buildings
Re: Vertices inside edges on mesh generation
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 10:40:55 PM »
No that is "standard" issue for scanning data. best if you do retopo and get clean mesh...
----------------
www.mhb.sk

Opparg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2015, 12:34:35 PM »
Alright thanks for letting me know. I'll have to clean them up the good old fashioned way then.  Retopo is not so desired in my case since I like to have the mesh with the texture and UV's.  At least I am not doing something wrong. :)

driftertravel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 03:06:12 AM »
One thing I've found is (sometimes) helpful is to use something like maya 2014 modeling toolkit or topogun (I assume 3dcoat can do it too, never tried) or something similar and 'relax' the low poly mesh over the high poly, or, if you want to keep your edges essentially where they are simply 'conform' the low poly to the high poly. Especially in topogun the polygons are forced to snap to a surface vert of the high poly, more often than not leaving you with a non-weirded-out mesh...

Arie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2015, 11:35:44 AM »
Properly cleaning up highres meshes can be quite time consuming, if not impossible. I would'nt even try to get rid of self overlapping faces, extreme angles and such.

Luckily, there are tools for that. Meshlab for example offers to select self intersecting faces, which one then can delete and fill the holes afterwards. Similiar is possible with non-manifold triangles.

I personally love the "mesh-doctor" offered by Geomagic- but the software is quite expensive... Therefore you might want to check out Meshlabs cleaning tools.

Opparg

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2015, 11:29:51 PM »
Meshlabs sounds great, I will check it out! Although they seem to limit commercial use.. Maybe I will contact them.  I also found that using the tightening function in Wings3d, on the mesh and then on the UV map can help to clean up extreme bends and most self intersecting faces.