Forum

Author Topic: Smooth Mesh  (Read 15186 times)

Mark Florquin

• The Holographer
    • View Profile
    • Mark Florquin
Smooth Mesh
« on: April 01, 2012, 04:59:01 PM »
A "smooth mesh" function would be nice to smooth an uneven surface in the mesh. I realise this can be done in post, but it could make a difference in fast previews for clients and the PDF-export function.
Mark Florquin - The Holographer. Website - 3D Store

Infinite

• View Profile
Re: Smooth Mesh
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 03:49:29 PM »
I have to agree, although this is really a post processing problem. But I don't know of any decent tools in other applications, Meshlab, Mudbox etc that are able to Smooth a mesh but still retain some of the crisp details well.

Ideally a solution to smooth high frequency details but still retain the low frequency bulk volume would be ideal. Not sure how feasible this is though.

So kind of a +1 on this.

Paulov

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 11:56:14 PM »
I second this demand. But what is behind this issue? lack of resolution, noise in the image? Today I made a photoset and the person I was scaning, the sofa and all around seemed to be melting.

tezen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 01:21:51 PM »
Hello Paulov!
I think it?s an issue with wrong camera-calibration, too much noise and less light. I`m just experimenting with denoising-filters, camera-calibration via PhotoShop/AEffects and it seems to be that the results are better in less time.

Hello Infinite!
In ZBrush you can use the "smooth creased-edges" brush or use the 2nd smoothing algorythm. Take a look at  http://www.pixologic.com/docs/index.php/Smooth_Brushes .

Hello Markflorquin!
Yes. Or Alexey should built a "GoZ" for PhotoScan. In ZBrush you?re able to polish the whole mesh at once (or use the smooth-brushes) so that it looks much cleaner. But for natural stuff those noise could be very nice like applying some noise to renderings.

Greetings
tezen

Infinite

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 02:20:43 PM »
Hello Infinite!
In ZBrush you can use the "smooth creased-edges" brush or use the 2nd smoothing algorythm. Take a look at  http://www.pixologic.com/docs/index.php/Smooth_Brushes .

Very useful! thanks for taking the time to post that tezen  :)