Forum

Author Topic: full body scann using multiple cellphones  (Read 7258 times)

affibox

• View Profile
full body scann using multiple cellphones
« on: July 29, 2015, 07:09:28 AM »
Could this be possible?

full body scann using multiple cellphones.

I was planning to use raspberry pi but for the same amount of money I could just buy used cellphones like the motorola atrix 2. This device has a 8mp camera and I only need a power supply to charge it.

I'm not looking for super high details regarding mesh. For are more interested in good texture quality.

I would really love to hear the forum opinion regarding a setup like this one.

affibox

• View Profile
Re: full body scann using multiple cellphones
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 04:20:05 PM »
I see that there is people reading this post.

Just to claryfy. The reason I want to use cellphones or small tablets is this:

A cellphone has:
At least I could get a 5mp cameras: I did a test using a webcam at 640x480 and the results where really good and fast. The problem with usb cameras is that you can't connect more than 2-4 cameras to a pc. With a cellphones I don't have this problem

wifi integrated: With raspberry pi i have to buy a wifi module or use the lan adapter. This means cables... lots of them if i want to use 20 cameras. With a cellphone I already have wifi and it would be much easier to get the data to photoscan.

Programmable This is like the raspberry. Both solutions can be hacked. But with and android cellphone  I could just build and app that takes the picture and uploads the data to a server right away with out limitations. I know I can do it with Rpi but it will cost much more.

I hope this give a better idea of what i'm trying to build.

***NOTE***
I'm doing some test right now with my atrix 2. I'll post back the results.

God Bless you all

affibox

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 07:45:36 PM »
Anyone? Please comment so I don't feel alone in this endeavor...

Magnus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 10:32:20 PM »
Hello!

I cannot give that much advice but one thing that could be a potential issue is syncing the triggering of the cameras.

Best, Magnus. 

affibox

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 11:04:02 PM »
Hello!

I cannot give that much advice but one thing that could be a potential issue is syncing the triggering of the cameras.

Best, Magnus.

Thanks for your replay. Now I don't feel alone lol...!!!

I will trigger the cameras using web-sockets. Using code I will send something like "take picture" and every phone will trigger the camera and take a picture.

Web-sockets allows me to have real time data between phones and pc. This allows me to send a simple text as a trigger.

I'm guessing that the shutters of this phones won't be fast but it will be really inexpensive compared to other solutions.

3dmij

• I make raspberry pi 3d Scanners
    • View Profile
    • pi3dscan
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2015, 02:52:30 PM »
Hi,

You can use mobile phones of course. I would use network boradcast to send trigger signal.

You will struggle (and need to be patient) to download the images over wifi. You need to make sure you do this in sequence not parallell as that will kill the wifi network. Keep in mind 100 x 8MP ~ 400MB, if you will use projection (which I would recommend) it means per scan 2x 400MB = 800 MB. If you want to auto mask with empty scan = 3x 400MB = 1.2GB per scan! so that will really take some time over wifi.

The most important thing to test is to see if you access point can deal with multicast to 100+ units. So make sure you have tigger syncronization.