Forum

Author Topic: USB issue about multi camera array on INTEL platform  (Read 5612 times)

48wings

• View Profile
USB issue about multi camera array on INTEL platform
« on: December 07, 2015, 07:10:52 PM »
I have 16 Canon 700D DSLR cameras in the array, and setup a  host PC based on INTEL X99 platform that have many USB 3.0 ports. the host  can  connect to only 4 cameras total  at USB 3.0 port, or 7 cameras total at USB 2.0 port. There have  8 cameras connect to 1 USB 3.0 HUB.  And 2 USB HUBs are connect to PC's USB 3.0 port or 2.0 port. When I add 5th or 9th camera to the system, windows was poped up some message like" too many USB devices.....".

The motherboard is from GIGABYE, X99-UD4, appearenlly it's a high-end model, but the USB limitation seems no way through..

So anyone know the solution about this issue? Like add USB expansion card or insall some kind of utility tool can fix it?

48wings

• View Profile
Re: USB issue about multi camera array on INTEL platform
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2015, 07:00:47 AM »
Update:

I'm tried to use macbook pro 15"  for the connection test, and 2 usb hubs 16 cameras total worked well,  all of them activated. the mbp 15 have 2 usb 3.0 ports, and the chipset not from INTEL.

Is that the problem just happen on INTEL USB controller?

FLuca

• View Profile
    • Another-me
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2015, 09:17:50 PM »
From my experience, the max quantity of cams that you can connect to a computer is very variable.
I did not found any documentation and everybody using multiple cam array are keeping their configuration secret.
You have to try by yourself. There is no logic rule. Sometimes an old computer can take more cams than a new an powerfull one.
On its website, Infinite is claiming to have only two computers for 150 DSLR ! Maybe extension cards.
I have ended-up by using Intel NUC I5 and only 12 DSLR can be connected to each NUC.
Good luck
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 10:51:53 PM by FLuca »
Fred Lucazeau - Body Scan - www.another-me.fr
Sketchfab gallery: https://sketchfab.com/fredlucazeau

stephan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2016, 11:40:58 PM »
Indeed the best way to go seems to have a set of intel nuc units that each connect to only 10/12 cameras. I have been able to get 27 cameras working over USB on a mac with powerful hubs but its kind of hit and miss...

fsssh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2016, 03:17:02 PM »
I have had 96 cameras (canon DSLR) running perfectly all day long out of a single PC via the usb2 ports (intel), plugging the same cable into the same PC's usb3 ports, it only finds 12.

I strongly recommend experimenting with different cables and hubs until you find the right combination.