Forum

Author Topic: Photo aligning with two groups, but not at the same time  (Read 2447 times)

Chris_321

• View Profile
Photo aligning with two groups, but not at the same time
« on: November 10, 2016, 04:23:58 AM »
This is more out of interest for the inner workings of Photoscan than anything else, but I've repeatedly found myself in a situation where Photoscan can't align a couple of cameras, but can align these cameras among themselves if I start with them.
Which makes sense, of course.
(Group meaning simply group, here, not any special function of Photoscan.)
But more interesting and the point of my question: Sometimes there are photos which will align with either of the groups, but not at the same time. (So if photo B aligns with group A it's no longer possible to get group C to align with photo B, which is possible if photo B is on its own.)

The photos are of pretty poor quality, so it's not a big deal and the obvious answer is to shoot better and more photos, I just wonder what might be the problem, here. There is no zoom or movement of the object itself happening, as far as I can tell. (Unfortunately I can't share the photos.)

Grey_Area

• View Profile
Re: Photo aligning with two groups, but not at the same time
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2016, 12:33:51 AM »
Related (maybe) I find it almost impossible to get chunks to align...each shape (from the dense cloud) is recognisably similar (to my eyes)...but Agisoft will decide to place them at 90 degrees to each other...or that one is a metre wide whislt the other is three meters.

Not impressed. If a toddler could look at these shapes and make 'em fit (square peg, square hole) then Agisoft should be able to as well - or at least make a better attempt of it than it does currently...

Chris_321

• View Profile
Re: Photo aligning with two groups, but not at the same time
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2016, 09:37:44 PM »
You could try to align by cameras.
You'll need at least three overlapping cameras which are named identically, as far as I can tell. (So the chunks seem to be aligned by camera position and not orientation.)