Forum

Author Topic: RAW processing  (Read 3319 times)

johnkfm

• View Profile
RAW processing
« on: November 14, 2016, 11:57:16 PM »
Over the last few years I have been processing Jpeg images to make reversed engineered 3D models with quite good results. I now want to process RAW image data sets to compare with the Jpeg versions already made.

Adobe seem to have a very expensive monopoly on the processing software. Does anybody use GIMP and is it comparable to Photoshop & Lightroom and goes it do the job? Are there any other software programs which will do the job, and I mean editing at a pixel level not just converting RAW to Tiff or Jpeg! 

Many thanks

JK

kayosiii

• View Profile
Re: RAW processing
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2016, 12:29:37 PM »
Currently I am using DarkTable when I want to process raw files on Linux. So far this workflow has been working well for me.

robeastham

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2016, 08:25:46 AM »
I've been converting RAW to JPEG using code that I've written as part of a bigger project I've been working on. I've done a lot of testing and had great results. I tried a number of different demosaicing algorithms and some result in better scan output than others.

There are some old threads that say in-cam JPEGS are fine. I think this can be true for some subjects, but for many of my subjects, especially for close up work, I find JPEGs baked from RAW produce better results than in-camera JPEGs. Based on my tests at least.

I've been considering setting up a web service where you can upload your RAW files and have them processed into JPEGs for use in photogrammetry. Small fee would be charged per conversion, though might run a free beta period if anyone is interested..?

If I was to provide service, there'd be a little more than just the conversion. For example, if you shoot on a turntable against a green/dark screen I have code that will auto-mask the subject. I use fairly complicated computer vision algorithms which I think beat the standard background removal masking method used in Photoscan. No more shadows on your background! Again this helps produce better results.

Chris_321

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2016, 11:28:22 PM »
I've heard good things about Affinity Photo, but I haven't tried it myself.
The Windows version is currently in open beta.