Forum

Author Topic: Thin Dense Point Cloud  (Read 5059 times)

jwoods

• View Profile
Thin Dense Point Cloud
« on: December 29, 2016, 06:03:59 PM »
I end up doing a lot of modeling of built up areas with many buildings and houses.  If I use the lower quality settings for building the dense clouds, a lot of the edges will come in rounded and not sharp.  However, if I use the higher quality settings I end up with 100+ million points in the dense point cloud which drastically slows down my processing time when building the mesh. 

In programs like Cloud Compare there are ways to thin the point clouds and remove redundant points according to some parameters.  I've come out with some beautiful looking point clouds that would make ideal quick meshes for me, but there is no option to reimport point clouds and I haven't been able to make a third party mesh successfully that I can reimport.

If there were an option to thin out a dense point cloud, basically say limiting points to a specific density per unit, it would be incredibly useful for me.

hengefjes

• View Profile
Re: Thin Dense Point Cloud
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 12:28:47 PM »
I second that!! Something similar to the SOR-filtre and the subsampling modes in CloudCompare would be fantastic!

bisenberger

• View Profile
    • Digital Mapping & Graphics
Re: Thin Dense Point Cloud
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2020, 08:44:12 PM »
This would be very helpful.
Digital Mapping & Graphics LLC
https://digital-mapping.net/