Forum

Author Topic: Benchmarking a GPUs  (Read 96359 times)

Wishgranter

• View Profile
    • Museum of Historic Buildings
Re: Benchmarking a GPUs
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2012, 01:53:16 PM »
Im wil buy 4 of 7970s in next few months. and few more in comming year.. With the Drivers is it problematic even with NVIDIA sometimes, not to say about decreasing performance in OpenCL on consumer cards....... Crashing Pscan for driver issue that was till not removed over 2 years and few others. What precisely for problem you have on the ATI card ??
----------------
www.mhb.sk

ajg-cal

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2012, 02:14:51 PM »
Wow! that will be quite a machine  :). We're looking into a intel xeon based workstation currently.

Don't worry too much as my references to AMD drivers were a bit off topic / were not really related to Agisoft processing.

If you're interested, the main problem for a lot of users with the 7970M (mobility i.e. for laptops) has been an underutilisation issues coupled with instability in the later driver hotfixes. I think the added complexity of enduro techonology (optimus for nvidia) doesn't help either...

I am actually going to start testing agisoft on my laptop to investigate how viable preliminary processing in-the-field is.

my laptop specs

i7-3610QM
8 gb ram (may upgrade to 16 GB)
7970M
128 ssd and 1TB hdd
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 02:17:59 PM by ajg-cal »

Wishgranter

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2012, 02:27:25 PM »
Yes, i know that problematic from forums on other sites, and yes its a driver related that can be solved ( if already not - something get on my eyes last week ) But remember the 7970M will be just on aprox half that performance of 7970 card, becasue its mobile version.....

Yes it wil be powerfull and will be aviable for interesant price for everyone......

If want can help with the hw setup of the dual xeon ( im putting my own together righ now ) 
----------------
www.mhb.sk

Wishgranter

• View Profile
----------------
www.mhb.sk

Aristarchos

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2012, 09:34:19 PM »
Hi,

I have registered just to say that I get 400 million samples/sec with a Radeon 7870 in Photoscan trial version in the Wishgranter scene.

The model is Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition,it is the model with the two fans and
it?s very silent .The temperature tops at 59 celsius when in Photoscan at 85%-97% of load.
Price around 220 euros in Spain.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 01:36:21 AM by Aristarchos »

Wishgranter

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2012, 12:56:48 AM »
Aristarchos thanx for the info, so even the 7870 are very fast  8)
----------------
www.mhb.sk

Matt

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2012, 02:17:29 AM »
My opencl programming buddies all use radeon mobile cards in their laptops the as they are not throttled back like the mobile nvidia cards. If i had the money I would go for something like this for field processing. http://shop.bestdeal4u.com.au/service/t/0/i/1988/n/Clevo+X7350.html. It has the dual 7970 video cards and capacity for lots of ram. I wouldnt call it portable though  ;D

Aristarchos

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2012, 04:51:10 AM »
The Radeon 7870 desktop and 7970m(mobile) are in fact the same chip (Pitcairn),they have the same number of shader processors,1280 and memory Speed ,1200 MHz.The difference is in the core speed ,that is 1000 MHz in the desktop version vs. 850 MHz in the mobile one.

The perfomance of desktop version is only 9% faster than the mobile one.You can check this on this link http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-HD-7970M.72675.0.html, look for benchmark 3DMark 11 - Performance GPU 1280x720.

The safe bet,currently,for a 7970m laptop is to get the Alienware m17x-r4,where you can deactivate the integrated gpu in the intel processor in bios,so you can avoid the whole Enduro mess.

Enduro is the AMD version of Nvidia Optimus.

You can check in the notebookcheck.net  Alienware m17x-r4 specific forum that there is not performance problems like in the Clevo/Sager notebooks.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 05:08:15 PM by Aristarchos »

ajg-cal

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2012, 03:54:52 PM »
You can check in the notebookcheck.net  Alienware m17x-r4 specific forum that there is not problems of performance like in the Clevo/Sager notebooks.

Don't I know it  :'(

I have a Clevo laptop from a reseller which doesn't have a independent connection from dGPU to output. http://forum.notebookreview.com/sager-clevo/696634-amd-12-11p-7970m-performance-driver-install-guide.html

Wishgranter

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2012, 06:58:47 PM »
Hello All.....
Finaly im get the ATI 7970 installed to my PC, im doing few tests, even mixing ATI and NVIDIA card, but it seems that mixing it in same system is not the best solution.

Have tested few simple solution on clean install of Win8, like installing first the 590 then 7970, and ins first the 7970 then 590 and it seems that nvidia is doing something with OpenCL drivers, if im have installed the ATI Open CL first, im get speedbump about 15-20 % for now.

Kris3D, the ATI cards are much faster than NVIDIA, but its it just under the DEPHT MAP subrutine, so as whole project you propably get the 10-20 % speedup depend on the  speed of the meshing process.

Over the holidays, will test it much deeper and will let you know........
----------------
www.mhb.sk

Matt

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2012, 03:20:31 PM »
I have both nvidia/ati cards installed and both drivers on a dual cpu system tested under windows 7 and 8.  If I want to use the nvidia driver plug that into the display as the primary source, if you want the ATI (which seems to work better for the 7970) plug that into the primary source.
It is also worth noting that the ATI cards seem to perform better the more complex the geometry. They will perform better in terms of calculation per second on ultra high than on high in the height field mode and better again in arbitrary ultra high.
The benchmark test set Milos created could be improved on by including a inside looking out arbitrary model of a space and a height field dataset as well.
Any chance we can look at the benchmark results you have collated yet Milos :D

Wishgranter

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2012, 07:41:06 PM »
Yup, will dosclose it, but as you pointedand im have forget, its need that GPUs need to be connected to monitor, or use terminators ( not T-800 aka Schwarzeneger to presuade the GPU) that card think its enabled. Will post results over the weekend, curently must deliver few results to clients..... For now, can disclosure this, but it need confirmation-will run it few times again to be sure. Used the benchmark scene.

result for Depht map generation @ULTRA

Win7 64bit - 1x 560Ti 192 GB RAM  - 1761 sec
Win Server 2012 Datacenter edition - 1x560Ti 192 GB - 1390 sec

If someone can share test data for benchmark few others reconstruction methods = some aerial photos for GIS application.....
----------------
www.mhb.sk

kris3d

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2012, 04:42:22 AM »
I did another test.
900 photos.
ATI 7970 computer hangs right at the start of the calculation.
The whole works very whimsical. Larger projects to hang.
A system with this card is unpredictable and unstable.
10% increase in performance over the card GTX 580 . Unless I crash.
Unfortunately, I sold the good old 580 card
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 04:48:54 AM by kris3d »

Wishgranter

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2012, 02:58:42 PM »
Kris, see in detail on CHUNK, and see the time for DEPHT MAP  thats what GPUs calculate.
If system is unstable, best way is to use cklean install of Windows and just one GPU to use.

Afther have installed ATI card, im could not read a lot of things with special sw, afther clean install its work OK.....

900 phots on what settings ???
----------------
www.mhb.sk

kris3d

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2012, 02:10:02 PM »
I have a stable system.
This card is unstable.
I had to lower the clock speed below the default parameters.
It works well. Exactly as fast as the old GTX580.
Replacement cards do not have any sense.
But as someone that works well. This congratulations.
Reinstalling the system is the last thing I do.
ATI is the way it is. no miracles.
If someone is going to buy an ATI 7970.
I suggest that first borrow from the store.
See how it really works.
And then possibly buy.
It may be a change does not make sense.