Forum

Author Topic: UV Border/Edge Bleed for .PNG and .TIF (custom settings for 1,2,3,4,5+ Pixels)  (Read 10445 times)

Infinite

• View Profile
Since using Agisoft exported textures in combination with Mudbox and Photoshop, I now know that you have to use non lossy file formats like .TIF with Mudbox. The problem is exported .TIF files from Agisoft have built in UV island cut out:

Which is actually very useful but the problem is there is no UV border bleed, which can lead to nasty mipping and border artifacts (please notice above line)

Because Agisoft creates smooth blended textures which is great in .JPG mode as images aren't pre cut when loaded into Phosothop or Mudbox. Which is also great but because of these we need no border pixel bleed in this format. But we do for others that pre cut images.

So if possible it would be great to be able to define Edge Bleed Pixel amount on texture generation/export, in pixels from 0-200+. Or have the ability to make sure .TIF aren't pre cut UV islands but include a Mask to do so.

I hope that makes sense.

FoodMan

• View Profile
Hello Lee...

I had run into the same problem... here is what I do

When I save a texture as Tif file, and open the model in Modo, this is how it looks, I see the seams...

then I open the texture in PS, trash the alpha channel, save it, then when I reload the texture, all is perfect..

Or do you want to keep the Alpha...? not sure.. but thought I would share this in case..

f/

« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 09:18:15 AM by FoodMan »

Wishgranter

• View Profile
    • Museum of Historic Buildings
In MAX im set the ALPHA off -

----------------
www.mhb.sk

Infinite

• View Profile
In MAX im set the ALPHA off -

No this isn't what I mean. I mean we need a en extruded bleed border rendered for .png and .tif when generated and exported from Agisoft. At the moment there is no bleed border on the edge of UV's. Which causes issues with seams and mip-mapping. Thanks for the idea though.

pjenness

• View Profile
    • IMDB
Hi.

Did this bleeding issue get resolved.
Blitzing the Alpha helps for realtime, however if you run catmul clark rendering (liek render man etc) you can smooth the UV thru the edge, so bleeding is still necessary.

So yeah I'd like to bump bleed options if they are not available yet.

Note, it is actually working on single tile, but if usign the multiple UV pages export that bleeding seems to not be there

Thanks!!

-P
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 02:50:07 AM by pjenness »
Lead Environtment Artist
Weta Digital

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1473416/

bigben

• View Profile
As a workaround you could save out JPEG and TIF, stack both in Photoshop with JPEG below TIF and then flatten. JPEG artefacts shouldn't be an issue since you're only using them for the edge smoothing