Forum

Author Topic: Support for DNG format in AGIsoft Lens  (Read 2761 times)

engelbeck

• View Profile
Support for DNG format in AGIsoft Lens
« on: March 27, 2017, 04:08:34 AM »
I tried to use dng files in AGISoft Lens but they would not show up in the photo selection dialog because the extension isn't listed.  Does file format affect the lens calibration? Do I have v1.3?

Vardaloupas

• View Profile
Re: DNG format not supported?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 10:51:39 AM »
From manual of pro 1.3.1

PhotoScan accepts the following image formats: JPEG, TIFF, DNG, PNG, BMP, PPM, OpenEXR and JPEG Multi-Picture Format (MPO). Photos in any other format will not be shown in the Add Photos dialog box. To work with such photos you will need to convert them in one of the supported formats.

and from lens manual 0.4

Supported image formats
The following image formats are supported by Agisoft Lens:
• Joint Photographic Experts Group (JPEG)
• Tagged Image File Format (TIFF)
• Portable Network Graphics (PNG)
• Portable Pixmap Format (PPM)
• Windows Bitmap (BMP)

engelbeck

• View Profile
Support for DNG format in AGIsoft Lens
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2017, 08:02:12 PM »
Hi,
     I understand that RAW formats like DNG do not have any of the camera manufacturers lens distortion corrections "baked" into them.   All of the other "processed" formats like JPG and TIFF that AGIsoft Lens supports do have the manufactures lens distortion corrections "baked" into them.  Consequently, I can not get valid lens calibrations using image files that were converted from RAW formats, like DNG, from AGIsoft Lens because of this inconsistency in applying the manufactures lens distortion corrections.
     Please add support for DNG in AGISoft Lens to be consistent with your Photoscan supported image formats.  It is not good practice to make AGIsoft distortion corrections on top of the manufactures distortion corrections anyway.