Forum

Author Topic: Help With 3D Model - Landscape / Buildings  (Read 1896 times)

jazzyj

• View Profile
Help With 3D Model - Landscape / Buildings
« on: March 12, 2018, 06:40:45 PM »
I've got a project that consists of about 500 nadir photos (20MP) and 300 obliques taken in a criss cross pattern at 45-degree angle all done from a DJI Phantom 4 Pro drone at about 225 feet and then an orbit around the buildings at a 45-degree angle at 150 feet.  Flown with 70% sidelap and 80% frontlap. There's quote a few trees in the shots (buildings surrounded by forest).  Pix4D, DroneDeploy, and SkyCatch all processed the the photos and generated a 3D Mesh Model that had no issues.  Photoscan, I'm getting pieces that are floating way up in the air.

Support suggested after photo alignment, go into reference pane, uncheck all the photos, then run camera optimization and make sure K4, P3, and P4 weren't checked.  Then recheck after optimization. I pretty much kept all the other settings as defaults - medium point cloud, etc.  Didn't help.

There are so many gosh darn setting in all the workflow steps in Photoscan it can be quite a task to find the 'winning combination'  Other users doing models of buildings and landscape must have run into this before.  Any other suggestions as to what to try to change in settings?

The parts of the model that are fine look better than all three of the other photogrammetry solutions I compared it to (Pix4D at highest setting comes close but PS looks better).

n@sk

• View Profile
Re: Help With 3D Model - Landscape / Buildings
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 09:05:59 PM »
Some might argue that there are too few settings in PhotoScan.
If only there was a straightforward relationship between cause and effect, input and output.
What you are are referring to as "this", is not a single aspect of a simple process.