Forum

Author Topic: Rotating DSLR pole instead of turntable  (Read 5548 times)

o_Tom_o

• View Profile
Rotating DSLR pole instead of turntable
« on: January 23, 2018, 08:38:16 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I want to build a rig to generate high quality 3d textured models of human sized static objects. These objects may have poor or no texture on their surface, so I’m planning to project light patterns to help the reconstruction process.
The objects I’m going to reconstruct are static, so I just want to buy few DSLR (between 5 and 10), put them regularly spaced on a vertical pole and use camera / object relative rotation to multiply the number of view and cover the whole object surface.

As the projectors and the object have to be rigidly connected, I should use a “big” turnatble to make them move together, and a static camera pole. This also make easier to control the background (except for the projectors maybe).
I have some hard constraints that prevent me to use such turntable.

The other solution is to put the object and the projectors on the floor, and turn the pole around the object.
I didn’t find any example (I have searched a couple of hours yet but maybe not enough) of such a configuration so I was wondering if there is too much drawbacks to do that.

Thanks in advance for your advices and suggestions.

o_Tom_o

• View Profile
Re: Rotating DSLR pole instead of turntable
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 02:26:27 PM »
Anyone to tell me if using such a rig would be a good setup to get high quality 3D textured model using PhotoScan?

Thanks

SAV

• View Profile
Re: Rotating DSLR pole instead of turntable
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2018, 03:13:46 PM »
Hi o_Tom_o,

Have a look at this:
http://www.pi3dscan.com

It is probably a good and affordable solution for you which delivers professional results.

Regards,
SAV