Forum

Author Topic: Best way to measure linear features  (Read 5468 times)

Shovelhead

• View Profile
Best way to measure linear features
« on: March 21, 2018, 08:54:30 AM »
Im doing an accuracy comparison and need to measure the sides of these houses the best possible way using my point cloud/model to compare with what I've measured them as with a total station & Disto.

There are some holes in the point cloud, I have to make due with the data I have. The method I do i upload the model to sketchfab and its measure tool to make the measurement. But my model is pretty choppy (processed on high). Can anyone recommend a better method or way to clean up my model a bit?

Thank you

JMR

• View Profile
Re: Best way to measure linear features
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 12:02:40 PM »
Why dont you create scale bars inside Pscan but placing and refining endpoints in photos better than trying to measure in pointcloud or mesh model. A bit time consuming but way more accurate than mesurements on output products
regards,
GEOBIT

Shovelhead

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 05:41:39 PM »
I'm not familiar with placing scale bars, is this a measuring technique or does it just give my model scale? Because it is already georeferanced.

SAV

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2018, 06:43:20 AM »
Hi Shovelhead,

As mentioned by JMR, you could use scale bars to measure distances after you finished processing (the scale bars would then not change anything in your model). Here is how to do it:
1. Manually insert two markers (right click in the model, then choose ADD MARKER)

2. In the reference pane, select both markers (probably called point 1 and point 2, which is PhotoScan's default labelling), then right click and choose CREATE SCALE BAR

3. Click on the VIEW ESTIMATED icon in the reference pane (looks like a spreadsheet with a blue, round information symbol in the lower right corner) to show the estimated value for the scale bar, which is the measurement you are after

DONE  :o

Alternatively, you could use the built in RULER tool (ruler icon in the main tool bar). It will allow you to directly measure linear distances.

And last but not least, you could export your dense point cloud as *.laz file and do your measurements in CloudCompare (free & open-source). Here are the details (look for 2 points label, which allows you to measure distances):
http://www.cloudcompare.org/doc/wiki/index.php?title=Point_picking

You could even generate horizontal sections from your point cloud and perform your distance measurements on them. See here:
http://www.cloudcompare.org/doc/wiki/index.php?title=Cross_Section

All the best.

Regards,
SAV
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 06:53:16 AM by SAV »

Shovelhead

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2018, 07:23:15 AM »
Hi Shovelhead,

As mentioned by JMR, you could use scale bars to measure distances after you finished processing (the scale bars would then not change anything in your model). Here is how to do it:
1. Manually insert two markers (right click in the model, then choose ADD MARKER)

2. In the reference pane, select both markers (probably called point 1 and point 2, which is PhotoScan's default labelling), then right click and choose CREATE SCALE BAR

3. Click on the VIEW ESTIMATED icon in the reference pane (looks like a spreadsheet with a blue, round information symbol in the lower right corner) to show the estimated value for the scale bar, which is the measurement you are after

DONE  :o

Alternatively, you could use the built in RULER tool (ruler icon in the main tool bar). It will allow you to directly measure linear distances.

And last but not least, you could export your dense point cloud as *.laz file and do your measurements in CloudCompare (free & open-source). Here are the details (look for 2 points label, which allows you to measure distances):
http://www.cloudcompare.org/doc/wiki/index.php?title=Point_picking

You could even generate horizontal sections from your point cloud and perform your distance measurements on them. See here:
http://www.cloudcompare.org/doc/wiki/index.php?title=Cross_Section

All the best.

Regards,
SAV

Thank you for the very detailed reply. Very much appreciated.

SAV

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2018, 09:23:45 AM »
No worries, Shovelhead.

I hope it works for you.

Regards,
SAV