Forum

Author Topic: about windows pagefile.sys file  (Read 3495 times)

ugo

• View Profile
about windows pagefile.sys file
« on: April 18, 2018, 03:45:14 PM »
Hello,
i have a question about pagefile.sys file. This file locate in c:\ now. If i use PhS for a big projekt to build mesh, this file will be very huge (about 128 GB). Then i set it max. 64 GB, build mesh again, but PhS show 'Error: not enough memory'. Now i want ask, can i move this file to other bigger disk, and PhS can still works? (My PhS is installed in c:\.)

thanks

Dave Martin

• View Profile
Re: about windows pagefile.sys file
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 07:31:54 PM »
Ugo,

yes, absolutely, you can change the Windows swap/page file location and size. It is a Windows setting, not a PhotoScan one.

On Windows 7 : right-click (My) Computer / Properties / Advanced system settings / Advanced tab / Performance [Settings] / Advanced tab / Virtual memory [change] / untick automatic and then specify the desired new drive and specify the size. The save and reboot. Go back in and repeat and remove the reference to a page/swap file on C:

On other versions of Windows it should be similar

Dave

ugo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 09:19:25 AM »
And if i separate the file to different disk (for example c:\ 64 GB and d:\ 64 GB), is that ok for PhS? Or can PhS use the complete 128 GB?

Dave Martin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 12:08:30 PM »
Ugo - the Windows page/swap file is nothing whatsoever to do with PhotoScan.  Memory - physical or virtual - is managed by the operating system (Windows), PhotoScan just uses memory like any other application would.

A page/swap file split across several physical disk volumes/spindles is certainly technically possible, but not necessarily wise unless you have no other option, as depending on how the application(s) hammer the virtual memory, access can be slower with distributed page/swap file storage.

Dave

ugo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2018, 01:02:16 PM »
Thank you so much, Dave.
My problem is, the dense point cloud have about 300 million points. Before the PhS beginn to work, there is 80 GB
space free in c:\, but before PhS finish build mesh, there is not enough memory. Do you have some advices about it?

rossnixon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2018, 04:21:54 AM »
"Not enough memory" refers to RAM.
The pagefile size probably has no effect on your problem. However, if your pagefile is getting extremely large for no apparent reason, you can set it to be a fixed size. Mine is set to 1GB.