Forum

Author Topic: How do I use photoshop to generate a mask for turntable model?  (Read 3739 times)

michaelws

• View Profile
I have a clay sculpture about two feet high on a turntable.  My camera is on a tripod.  I have taken 25 shots at three different levels as I turn the model on a lazy susan turntable.

I watched this youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uI9_5T3d5U&t=9s

It is only one year old but it did not match the menus in the version of Photoscan I have just purchased.

I created the filled background using the first image in my file using photoshop which basically just turned it into a totally black frame and saved it as background.jpg as in the video.  Photoscan then took a few minutes to apply the mask as per the video but it did not produce any masks at all.

I then tried to google the subject as I could not make out the steps by reading the Photoscan manual on creating masks and I got nothing that really was of any help.

Is there any tutorial that anyone knows of that could walk me through the current version of this software to learn how to generate a mask for this type of turntable model shoot?

The attached pic is a full frame of the model.  The mask is just the same dimension frame but all black.  I don't know how that worked but that is what the lady narrating the video did and it worked for her but the background of her model was blurred whereas mine is not.

Sure could use some help with this.  Thanks

LeJude16

• View Profile
Re: How do I use photoshop to generate a mask for turntable model?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2018, 08:22:07 AM »
you probably already solved this but just in case....so i find that this process is much easier in photoscan, build a model using low dense cloud and mesh settings make sure to use the selection tools to "clean up" the scene and remove any points that are not apart of the model you would like, once the mesh is finished go up to the toolbar and select file (on most recent software, older versions have it under tools), then import on the drop down, select import mask, make sure its set up as "replacement" "from model" and applied to "all cameras" hit ok. if you are working with chunks you can use Align chunks here otherwise it doesn't matter. Align again but this time make sure either "constrain features by mask" is selected or on the newer software you select to apply masks to tie points. run the other stages again with higher settings and voila.

HelloJens

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2018, 01:21:23 PM »
You might want to try out after effects for creating a mask. I've worked on a project where we picked a backdrop in a colour which does not occur in the object.

Then using keylight in after effects we removed the background. Used the auto trace feature to make a rough garbage mask and then tweaked that with a choker so only a thin edge would remain of teh background.

James

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2018, 02:22:41 PM »
You may do better to use this method for masking your turntables project, creating a mask in only one image.
http://www.agisoft.com/index.php?id=49 (also http://www.agisoft.com/forum/index.php?topic=8491.0)

You would also get much better results by using the camera in portrait orientation and moving closer to use more of the frame.