Forum

Author Topic: Why do I have some holes in some areas and others have points ?  (Read 1944 times)

PROBERT1968

• Hello !
    • View Profile
I have a question about some holes that I have... I want to know why does it provide the holes ..

Is there a way for me to fill them to get more points ?

Here is an example of this screenshot I am showing you a few red circles here.... Thx

PROBERT1968

• Hello !
    • View Profile
Re: Why do I have some holes in some areas and others have points ?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 04:08:18 AM »
Why do I get 41 views but no answer ?

Dave Martin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2018, 09:59:01 AM »
Why do I get 41 views but no answer ?

PROBERT1968,

Probably because of a combination of inadequate information and no-one being able to guess an answer with sufficient certainty to answer your question.

You've provided nothing about:
  • The object/scene - is it the side of a 5 cm stone or a 20m high building façade or 10km x 10km aerial project.
  • The type of surface
  • Sample original photographs which include material where you get 'a hole'
  • How were the photographs acquired
  • How much overlap (forwards and sideways)
  • How have you processed them so far - what settings did you use
  • What version of PhotoScan are you running
Console log may be useful at some point

PROBERT1968

• Hello !
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2018, 05:43:13 AM »
Ok....

I have 1938 or later historical aerial photos that doesn't have georeferenced and no projection.  They are 9x9 size and the dimensions varies such as 5613 x 4418. The file is in TIFF format. I have about at least 4,000 photos that I am going to work.
These photos were flown over the forest areas in central Colorado, USA.

My plan was to export them to orthomosaic but I will also need to do export each individual as a orthophotos.

I do not plan to build them into the whole set... just small parts of areas since they can be in very large file size.

I first started worked on them in ERDAS Imagine using it's toolbar AutoSync and did the each but discovered about PhotoScan and I am using 1.4.2.

The aerial photos were done by our agency's contractor but I do not have any details about them.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 07:18:53 PM by PROBERT1968 »

Dave Martin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2018, 04:28:04 PM »
Thanks PROBERT1968, that gives some more clues.

Wooded areas can sometimes be harder to align due to (i) possible movement of the crown, and (ii) possible lack of distinctive features that can be used for matching between overlapping images.

If you take a subset which should cover one of your 'holes', how much overlap is there? When planning missions for photogrammetry (manned or UAV) a key consideration is the overlap, both in the direction of the flight line, and between adjacent flight lines (sometimes described as sidelap). Different terrain and end user requirements can dictate, but overlap of 70% or better is common. If you lay out your photographs in one of the problem areas, how much forward/sideways overlap do you have?

Can you post a pair of images (or extract thereof) and circle the area(s) that give you a 'hole'?

Also, as per previous message, can you detail which options were selected when you tried processing in PhotoScan?

Dave