Forum

Author Topic: Dense cloud below the ground surface  (Read 1519 times)

Stefano

• View Profile
Dense cloud below the ground surface
« on: June 22, 2018, 06:57:19 PM »
Hi everyone,
more than once I bumped into the following problem: after a good alignment and low marker errors, the dense cloud results inhomogeneous with lots of points below the surface level. The object is a 6 m quadrat covered by snow. I did not use camera references and I masked the background (sky and mountains). Could this be due to the high reflection of snow? Is there a way to remedy the problem?
Thank you very much and have a great day!
Stefano

Stefano

• View Profile
Re: Dense cloud below the ground surface
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2018, 07:12:40 PM »
I am sorry,
did I give too few details to receive a reply? It is very important...
Thank you,
Stefano

ManishSahu

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2018, 12:12:57 PM »
This is due to texture less surface of Snow. Because of that a lot of points which  are matched are incorrect hence you are getting points below ground.
Try running denseCloud with aggressive filtering. This might remove outlier a lot

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2018, 04:49:47 PM »
Hello Stefano,

Such noise may be a result of both reflections and lack of the texture on the snowy terrain and also of the oblique angle of the camera orientation.

To eliminate noise after the dense cloud is reconstructed you can try to run Classify Ground Points operation, as it also assigns "low points" class to the similar noise points. Even if it wouldn't be able to detect all those points, but at least a major part of them.
Additionally I can suggest to reduce the area of reconstruction from the bottom side.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

Stefano

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2018, 09:55:57 AM »
Thank you ManishSahu and Alexey!
Just a curiosity, is it possible to at least improve the reflections by adjusting the white balance or contrast in Lightroom/Photoshop?
Stefano