Forum

Author Topic: Sculpture / Bad or no alignment upward cameras  (Read 1241 times)

candman

• View Profile
Sculpture / Bad or no alignment upward cameras
« on: October 17, 2018, 03:38:30 PM »
New to the forum but not really new to Photoscan.

Digitizing some busts and sculptures I almost everytime encountered difficulties with the upward facing cameras (for chin, nose, eyebrows etc.). My method is marked turntable + two flashes + high end ff camera with pro lenses. I do 18 pictures per ring (three or four rings, depending on object size), plus details. The upward detail pictures are very hard to align with very few points, I think, part of the problem are out of focus areas while photographing at a steep angle. The resulting models often - but not all the time - show holes in the dense cloud.

What method would you suggest for better results?

SB

• View Profile
Re: Sculpture / Bad or no alignment upward cameras
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2018, 08:27:31 PM »
Try taking several rings of upward facing photos.  one ring where the camera is up -20 degrees and another ring where it is facing up -40 degrees

Also, try using f-stop of 12 or so.  I imagine the camera will be getting some overhead light so the exposure should be adjusted to get a good photo of the object.  You can mask out the overexposed area.

candman

• View Profile
Re: Sculpture / Bad or no alignment upward cameras
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2019, 07:23:59 PM »
My temporary solution: Some of the errors disappear when differently focussed pictures are used and "out of focus"-areas are masked .