Forum

Author Topic: [resolved] Orthophoto export Google Earth KMZ red X  (Read 4352 times)

orellius

• View Profile
[resolved] Orthophoto export Google Earth KMZ red X
« on: December 03, 2018, 10:47:26 PM »
EDIT: I've resolved this myself just by updating to the latest version of Google Earth Pro. Mine was a version from July 23, 2018. Now I am on October 31, 2018.

I've done my own internets searching and even on this forum, I know there are some posts about it before but none seem to help me at all.

I process UAV survey flights and export ortho in KMZ. If I open in Google Earth it's just a red X. This never used to be the case, it always worked for me, but I've had this issue for a little while and have no idea with what version upgrade it broke and stopped working.

I do not believe it has anything to do with my PC hardware limitations, and also nothing to do with the actual dimensions or size of the KMZ file. When this WAS working, I was able to successfully load KMZ files in that were 100 MB, 1 GB, and even more. Yes, larger ones might take a bit to load but they always worked. Now, I can't get any of them to work.

I've taken suggestions that I've found online and have had no luck. The file I'm trying to open today is only 100 MB. But I've also drawn in a polygon boundary and shrunk the area to a very small region 5 MB file, and no luck. I've tried exporting the entire region but changing the pixel density to 10cm (down from 1.5 cm) and still get a red X. Essentially no matter what actual boundary dimensions, file size, or pixel density, I get a red X.

I've also tried turning off the "save network links" and some of the layers in the KMZ file itself, as suggested online and on this forum, and no luck. What am I missing? I used to be able to provide KMZ files to all my clients, now I cannot.

thanks for any help
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 01:54:53 AM by orellius »

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
Re: Orthophoto export Google Earth KMZ red X
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2018, 12:29:27 AM »
Hello orellius,

Can you send any example of such KMZ file to support@agisoft.com if you have a small example demonstrating the problem?
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

orellius

• View Profile
Re: Orthophoto export Google Earth KMZ red X
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 01:41:34 AM »
Yes thanks, I will send it ASAP. 100 MB file but ill use our company's file sharing service and send a link, referencing this forum post.

orellius

• View Profile
Re: [resolved] Orthophoto export Google Earth KMZ red X
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2018, 01:55:21 AM »
See up top, I just resolved this myself by updating Google Earth, now the ortho loads in just fine.

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
Re: [resolved] Orthophoto export Google Earth KMZ red X
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2018, 02:16:08 PM »
Hello orellius,

Thank you for letting us know that the issue is resolved.
I'm observing the same issue in the July version of Google Earth with your KMZ file, however, wasn't able to reproduce the same with other random datasets exported with the similar settings. Also I have noticed, that unpacking KMZ and opening KML in Google Earth for your file works as expected.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC