Forum

Author Topic: Viewing a 3d Model in VR  (Read 5945 times)

jwallace

• View Profile
Viewing a 3d Model in VR
« on: March 22, 2018, 01:59:08 AM »
Hi,
I'm hoping to export a 3d model from Photoscan and view it in VR.
The model is 1.5gb.
Ideally, I'd like to be able to move around the model.
I need to know the best format to export out. And which software to view the model in.

I was hoping to just use google cardboard or similar, but may consider HTC Vive options.

Kind regards,
James

Alain

• View Profile
Re: Viewing a 3d Model in VR
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 11:05:00 AM »
Maybe Agisoft can expand the Agisoft Viewer by a VR-Mode ?

paulm

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2018, 05:15:03 PM »
The model is 1.5gb.

How large is it in number of polygons?

In VR, especially with say a Vive headset, you need really beefy graphics performance as the headsets run at 90-120 frames per second and less will cause stutter in the VR experience. Displaying in stereo (left/right eye) potentially halves the framerate, but modern VR viewers can use tricks to make the performance hit much smaller than a factor of 2.

In practice, the model might need to be simplified quite a bit to be smoothly viewable in VR.

I need to know the best format to export out. And which software to view the model in.

These two are related, as the viewer you're going to use will dictate what kind of format to export in (or need to convert to). Good general 3D model formats are Autodesk FBX (binary, lots of features), Collada (XML-based), Wavefront OBJ (verbose as it is text-based) or PLY (binary, but does not handle textured materials).

Sketchfab.com has a VR-viewer, but it requires you to upload the model to their site, which might not be what you want. You can use Unity3D, but that requires you to do some scene building (and even some programming). The Vive comes with an application called Workshop that allows to add and view 3D models, but it's a bit convoluted (https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/SteamVR/Environments/Photogrammetry)

I actually don't know any good standalone VR viewers for 3D models.

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2018, 06:14:38 PM »
Hello James,

Have you checked, if Vertical Split stereoscopic mode in PhotoScan or in Agisoft Viewer allows you to use VR headset?
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

jwallace

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2018, 10:21:34 AM »
Hi everyone,
thank you for your contributions. I totally missed them all up until today...
I ended up using SketchFab. I exported in .fbx and reduced the polygon count.
I was just using a cheap iPhone headset viewer and the SketchFab app that loads the model in VR.
It worked really well for me.
I am interested in buying a Occulus GO for higher quality viewing once it works more smoothly with SketchFab.
Kind regards,
James