Forum

Author Topic: Not all aligned cameras used in dense cloud calculation  (Read 1675 times)

figment

• View Profile
Not all aligned cameras used in dense cloud calculation
« on: December 22, 2018, 02:07:30 AM »
Hello all,

I've been using Photoscan for a couple of years on and off but am now beginning to use it more and more regularly in projects and am therefore relying on it for good results.

I'm working on a project at the moment where we have photographed a room interior. We have around 1600 photos of this room and in my current project, around 1500 have been successfully aligned. I reached this total after using 'Gradual Selection' and then 'Optimise Cameras' to improve camera alignment.

However, when I begin the dense cloud calculation, I see in the process details that only around 900 of the 1500 photos are selected (this is the exact message: 'selected 907 cameras from 1500 in 0.348 sec')

Am I missing something here? Should it not be using all 1500 of the aligned cameras for the dense cloud? Am I likely to get a less detailed result because of this?

Apologies if this has already been covered in the past. I searched these forums for an answer and wasn't able to find a satisfactory explanation. Thanks in advance for any responses!

Mak11

• View Profile
Re: Not all aligned cameras used in dense cloud calculation
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2018, 03:43:30 AM »
Wait until the whole process is finished. Not all cameras are selected at the same time when generating the depth maps and dense cloud. it is done in batches.
Also, even if all the camera's are processed it doesn't automatically mean that the software was able to generate a usable depth map from all of them.

Just wait until processing is done (it going to take a few light years I guess with that many photos..) and check the logs (and how many dpeht maps were generated.)

Mak

figment

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2018, 09:54:30 AM »
Okay, will do. It's going to take a day or two so I'll just let it run and will report back once it's complete.

Thanks!

figment

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2018, 12:24:42 PM »
Just a quick update.

I let the dense cloud calculation run and it did only build 907 depth maps from the 1500 aligned photos.

I'm still not sure why it didn't calculate depth maps for all cameras but the result I achieved looks good nevertheless. I am wondering if I'd be able to get even better results with more photos so if anyone has any ideas why this might be happening it'd be appreciated.

Thanks!

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2018, 01:01:28 PM »
Hello figment,

The depth maps are calculated for the overlapping pairs that have common valid tie points over the certain threshold. This threshold is defined as max number from the following two:
default limit equal to one hundred and 10% of the max common tie points for the given camera with any other image. For any camera you can check View Matches dialog to see how many valid tie points it has with every other image.

Most likely reason of some cameras not being used for the depth calculation is low number of tie points detected on the related images.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC