Forum

Author Topic: Bad Memory Allocation  (Read 2180 times)

Muhammad Khan

• View Profile
Bad Memory Allocation
« on: December 27, 2018, 08:45:10 AM »
I am trying to process around 1000 images of an area at high quality level but at the ending stages of the processing, Agisoft gives the error of bad memory allocation and crashes. Is there a way to restrict the RAM usage upto a certain limit and avoid this error?
If it takes more time that wouldn't be an issue but crashing at almost the end of the processing stage is disappointing.

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
Re: Bad Memory Allocation
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2018, 12:36:45 PM »
Hello Muhammad,

Please specify the dataset size (number of images and image resolution), processing parameters used and, if possible, provide the complete processing log related to the failed operation from the Console pane.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

Muhammad Khan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2018, 09:18:12 AM »
1000 Images were processed on my i5 system having 8 gigs of RAM and the resolution of images is 20MP. I tried processing it with High parameters enabled.

Yesterday, on another project I tried processing 4200 images (20MP) on my i9 system having 128 gigs of RAM and Titan's GPU. But at the very first step (camera alignment) with highest option selected, the result it produced was very weird. The sparse cloud had multiple layers perpendicular to one another as if a bomb is exploded inside it, but the scene captured is a flat ground.

JasonR

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2018, 07:37:37 PM »
This sounds like you're running out of RAM. Running 1000 images with only 8GB of RAM for 20MP imagery on High would seem to cause this error. You can watch your memory usage in Windows to see if you're hitting the top end, too.

I would go back to the big machine and figure out why your alignment is coming out so bad. Do you have ground control? Are you aligning to that or only using the camera locations? I'm assuming this is UAV data, so are you using standard GPS locations, PPK, RTK? If it's a DJI using the internal GPS, then you could have a lot of variation between the camera altitudes from flight to flight and day to day. If you're using GCPs, do you have the cameras unchecked when you're optimizing? There are a lot of factors that can cause what you're getting for results.

Muhammad Khan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2018, 10:18:16 AM »
Hello Jason,

Yes the RAM would be an issue for my low end PC. But is there a way to restrict the RAM usage and let it process even if more time is taken? (As this option is available in some other softwares)

For my high end PC, I'm using a DJI drone and it's internal GPS information from the images is being used for alignment but the images taken are from the same day and from the same drone. I don't have any GCP so can't use them in my project.