Forum

Author Topic: Small scale DEM  (Read 1179 times)

jaz2020

• View Profile
Small scale DEM
« on: January 17, 2019, 07:55:30 AM »
I have a rock outcrop about 2 square meters that I'd to use to generate like to generate a DEM with contours. I've gone through the steps of creating the 3D model, but the DEM option isn't available I assume because I don't have any GPS data. I did use markers and they have been detected on my model. Is there a way to make a DEM using the position of the markers as reference points?

james_AU

• View Profile
Re: Small scale DEM
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 11:25:03 AM »
I have a rock outcrop about 2 square meters that I'd to use to generate like to generate a DEM with contours. I've gone through the steps of creating the 3D model, but the DEM option isn't available I assume because I don't have any GPS data. I did use markers and they have been detected on my model. Is there a way to make a DEM using the position of the markers as reference points?

Hi,

Yes. Providing you know the distance between some, if not all of the markers, and if at least 3 are at the same elevation, you can give them false coordinates, set an appropriate coordinate system and update the model.  Remember to correct ray projections and set rotate the bounding box before generating the DEM. I do it all the time now and it works a treat.

Regards,

James

jaz2020

• View Profile
Re: Small scale DEM
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 10:03:35 PM »
Do I need to manually enter the X Y Z coordinates for each marker in order to do that? I’m a novice at this stuff so I have lots of questions so sorry in advance.