Forum

Author Topic: VC problems, my nvidia pny quadro 4000 crashes! Can anybody help?  (Read 17374 times)

Diego ROn

• View Profile
Hi everybody,

I'm a phd student, i just got Photoscan pro, my dissertation it's about photogrammetry and laser scanning for cultural heritage.... I'm experiencing some trouble: my graphic card (pny quadro 4000) crashes, probably I need to do somee setting.... can anybody help me?

thanks,

Diego Ronchi
PHD student Torvergata Rome

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
Re: VC problems, my nvidia pny quadro 4000 crashes! Can anybody help?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 05:58:21 PM »
Hello Diego,

Could you please check that latest nVidia drivers are installed.
And also if possible please provide the log file. Probably the problem is caused by visualization of mesh with big number of faces if the graphic card can not handle it.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

Diego ROn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 08:30:58 PM »
Hello Alexey!

Thanks for being so fast with your answer! one of the aims of my dissertation is to compare laser scanning technology with photogrammetry (and at the same time compare different software) so far I'm amazed about your product (flexible, easy and accurate....) for this reason I'm pushing with meshes density, I'm currently working with about 15.000.000 faces and 100 cameras, that is quite small for the system I'm using I guess (Nvidia quadro 4000, 32 gb ram, i73930k).... I'm using latest drivers available.
I know you don't recommend quadro, but it's the only thing we have here at the dept....

thanks again,

Diego.

Wishgranter

• View Profile
    • Museum of Historic Buildings
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 08:48:42 PM »
Hello Diego, this error was mentioned few times earlier, its very problematic. this two things is mostly the reason -

first have observed few days back

1. Too big mesh - if in settings is enabled VBO ( im get it on mesh aprox 30-50 mil trias - when im over physical RAM of GPU ) - try disable any other sw when working  with pscan - everything except pscan consume GPU ram. 1GB of physical RAM on GPU can hold aprox 45 Mil trias + texture size if is generated. try shitch from SHADED to SOLID in viewport of pscan......

2. Its something in HW of the GPU, im see it few times when monitoring GPU and card switch power states of the GPU. - in short

Best if get this error that you restart PC and run as mentioned just PSCAN, nothing else. If you get this error again - restart PC......

This error is a longtime known, NVIDIA do nothing with it over 3-4 years, ( have read that BIOS of GPU should be upgraded, but thats very problematic, because of lack of new BIOS files for specific card. Only few EVGA cards could be managed this way. )

----------------
www.mhb.sk

Diego ROn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 09:13:29 PM »
Thank you.... :( I was running only PSCAN..... I'll ask the chair of my dept to write a note to Nvidia, we're big customer..... I'll reduce mesh density.... do you or Alexey have any suggestion for building geometry I'm working on High quality with 0 for face count (maximum) on a project with 250 cameras .... better restart the project now than getting stucked on a driver problem....

Thanks again!

Wishgranter

• View Profile
    • Museum of Historic Buildings
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 11:12:35 PM »
Hello, Nvidia, will propably not help, they have problem with repeating this error as far im know....

For reconstruction use BATCH and set automaticly to save. On mesh face count, set it to 20-30 mil trias, more is mostly usseles..... What sort of data you reconstruct ? a GIS stuff or something else ?
----------------
www.mhb.sk

Diego ROn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2013, 01:35:37 AM »
I'm reconstructing a roman port facility, with both aerial and ground photos. The aim it's not the reconstruction itself, but a comparation among laser scanner, photogrammetry, an photogrammetric software. We're looking for the chepest and accurate way to document sites and structure.

Diego ROn

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2013, 01:37:04 AM »
Thanks for the tips!!!!!!!!

Diego ROn

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2013, 01:38:38 PM »
very Interesting, we're cheking accurancy projecting points taken from models realized with different tecniques.... I'll keep you posted!

thanks again!

Diego ROn

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2013, 01:42:31 PM »
Thi is the log of the error while I was alligning chunks.....

Diego ROn

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2013, 06:57:17 PM »
keep crashing damn it!!!!!!! :-\  :-\

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2013, 07:01:16 PM »
Hello Diego,

If you do need to perform operations on model inside PhotoScan, you can skip showing the model after it is reconstructed (seem like it is the problem for given number of faces on this Quadro). For example, you can create an empty chunk and make it active, and then run processing steps through Workspace context menu, Batch Processing or Python console.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

Diego ROn

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2013, 07:09:08 PM »
Thanks I'll give it a try or I'll reduce the number o triangles, but it's unbelievable having such problems with this high end graphic card!!!