Forum

Author Topic: What's the best workflow for 300mil mesh having only 32gb of RAM?  (Read 1817 times)

kirk

• View Profile
I need to build a super hi res mesh for a terrain surface  from Mavic Pro drone dng images   to be then baked as displacement/height /normal map textures of a shell low-poly one.   

Looks like main limitation is RAM, right?   Is there a way to work around it?     I once build 800 mil mesh on the same pc  but it's kind of foggy what settings I had that time.

I need maximum possible details in the target normal texture so I bet only way is to build a super huge mesh.

1.  I should go "Heighfield" right?   Not "Arbitrary"    So the new depth map mode is not an option, right?   I tired "depth map" and it stops at 97% decimation stage and never finishes it.

2.  What should I set for "reuse depth map", does it matter at all?

3. I shouldn't even try "decimate" , right ?      It doesn't work with huge meshes?
 I actually somehow coped with  "simplifing" my huge meshes in a Steam version of Reality Capture.   Unfortunately  RC itself fails with proper Mavic Pro images  aligning and even when it doesn't,  it does lots of surface artifacts over what Agisoft does  and also inferior/ more blurry color textures IMO (Needs much more hi res input than the drone  is able to provide considering flight/battery time)

4. What's best geometry format to export from Photoscan . Takes less time to save/ less GB on disc  etc.?    Alembic?

5.  Would a color texture  build for extra  low poly mesh with custom unwrap  be matching  height/displacment details baked from super hi res mesh in 3d party texture baker?    I mean considering texture bakers usually do ray tracing along low poly mesh normals?  Would it match with how Agisoft projects the texture pixels?

Or I should make the color texture for same super hi poly object too?  Would take forever I guess

ps.      Could sombody who use drones share few thoughts.  Is it good idea at al or anything I am going to get is lots of geometry noise instead of super hi res mesh?     

« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 06:31:13 PM by kirk »