Forum

Author Topic: Metashape crashed after successful building mesh  (Read 4091 times)

marstears

• View Profile
Metashape crashed after successful building mesh
« on: January 30, 2019, 11:35:07 AM »
I have a big land survey project include 9860 images captured by fixwing UAV and each image is about 14-20MB.
I use Metashape to process these images with Align photo, Build dense cloud and Build mesh.
After build mesh step and auto save successful, the software crashed. And this project file can not be opened anymore. Every time I open this project, Metashape will stuck and crash after several miniuts. I checked the project folder and find the model PLY file, it is about 9GB. So I edited the doc.xml file in the frame.zip to make metashape do not load the model file. Then the project could be opened again by Metashape.
I have no idea about this situation, but I think there was something wrone about mesh model file. Please help me to solve this problem.

Information of my workstation:
Operating system: Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit
Cpu: AMD Ryzen 2990WX
RAM: 8x16GB DDR4
SWAP: 256GB
GPU: 4xAMD RX580 (8GB VRAM for each GPU card)

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
Re: Metashape crashed after successful building mesh
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 12:28:54 PM »
Hello marstears,

Most likely the problem is related to very high number of polygons (several hundreds of millions of polygons) in the model which are failed to be displayed. The crash seems to occur within AMD driver.

You can switch the default view mode to point cloud, thus the mesh wouldn't be automatically displayed on the project load or after the mesh generation operation is finished, so it would be safe to save the project. However, if you switch to such high poly mesh manually, the same issue most likely would occur on the same configuration.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

marstears

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2019, 12:41:50 PM »
Hello marstears,

Most likely the problem is related to very high number of polygons (several hundreds of millions of polygons) in the model which are failed to be displayed. The crash seems to occur within AMD driver.

You can switch the default view mode to point cloud, thus the mesh wouldn't be automatically displayed on the project load or after the mesh generation operation is finished, so it would be safe to save the project. However, if you switch to such high poly mesh manually, the same issue most likely would occur on the same configuration.

Hi Alexey
Thank you for reply. Could this problem be solved if I change my AMD GPU driver from official amdgpu-pro to opensource driver or change my graphic card to NVIDA?

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2019, 12:58:31 PM »
Hello marstears,

I think that over 400 millions polygons, even if displayed properly, would be almost unoperable.

What is the purpose of such high-poly mesh model in your case? Tiled model generation should serve the visualization representation of the model, for example. If you need one-block model, are you sure that any post-processing application will be able to open it? Maybe the polygon count should be decimated even further to more reasonable numbers.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC