Forum

Author Topic: Linux headless server  (Read 4355 times)

jrp

• View Profile
Linux headless server
« on: January 30, 2019, 07:57:45 PM »
Hi.

I’m trying to set up a server on a headless linux box, according to the documentation I’ve read the command should be:

./metashape.sh --server --control 1.2.3.4 --dispatch 1.2.3.4 --platform offscreen

(IP redacted)
It comes up with the following error message though:

“error while loading shared libraries: libGLU.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory”

I’m sure I’ve read that running a headless linux server is entirely fine, but I’m not getting anywhere with this.

Machine is running Ubuntu 14.04.5 LTS – I’m aware this is fairly old, but I’m not expecting that ot be the issue.

Any advice?

I’m also interested in running a headless processing node (on a diferent server) but I’ve not even started on that yet.

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
Re: Linux headless server
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 09:29:27 PM »
Hello jrp,

Does it also happen if you use only single "minus" sign in front of -platform offscreen argument?

And just to confirm: you are using Professional edition, right?
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

jrp

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2019, 11:56:25 PM »
Hi, I have already tried double and single minus sign on the platform argument, that was the first i tried as it seemed inconsistetent relitive to linux norms.

I will validate that I downloaded the pro edition, but I know pro is required, and wouldn't have intentionally downloaded standard.

jrp

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2019, 02:19:16 PM »
I have verified that it is pro that i'm running. I even went to the lengths of re-downloading and re-extracting the software with no change.

Alexey Pasumansky

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2019, 09:47:33 PM »
Hello jrp,

I can suggest to install libglu1-mesa package. If it doesn't help, then try to install also libgl1-mesa-glx.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

jrp

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2019, 07:28:48 PM »
Hi, thanks for the reply, that gets me as far as:
Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get install libgl1-mesa-glx
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these:
The following packages have unmet dependencies.
 libgl1-mesa-glx : Depends: libglapi-mesa (= 10.1.3-0ubuntu0.6)
                   Depends: libx11-xcb1 but it is not going to be installed
                   Depends: libxcb-dri2-0 (>= 1.8) but it is not going to be installed
                   Depends: libxcb-dri3-0 but it is not going to be installed
                   Depends: libxcb-glx0 (>= 1.8) but it is not going to be installed
                   Depends: libxcb-present0 but it is not going to be installed
                   Depends: libxcb-sync1 but it is not going to be installed
                   Depends: libxdamage1 (>= 1:1.1) but it is not going to be installed
                   Depends: libxfixes3 but it is not going to be installed
                   Depends: libxshmfence1 but it is not going to be installed
                   Depends: libxxf86vm1 but it is not going to be installed
                   Recommends: libgl1-mesa-dri (>= 7.2)
 linux-image-extra-3.13.0-135-generic : Depends: linux-image-3.13.0-135-generic but it is not going to be installed
 linux-image-extra-3.13.0-141-generic : Depends: linux-image-3.13.0-141-generic but it is not going to be installed
 linux-image-generic : Depends: linux-image-3.13.0-141-generic but it is not going to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).

I'm getting the feeling that it may not be happy without a GUI on the server, do we have documented cases of people running this on a genuinely headless server?

Alexey Pasumansky

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2019, 09:31:59 PM »
Hello jrp,

We have checked that everything works as expected in headless mode on clean Ubuntu 16.04.3 Server after installing  libglu1-mesa libgl1-mesa-glx ( libgomp1 gcc also required, but you seems to have them already).
We'll try to check on 14.04 to see if there's any difference.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

jrp

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2019, 09:17:51 PM »
Positive progress, I'm updating incase anyone else comes this way: today I installed a fresh copy of linux Ubuntu desktop (18 LTS) and found the following:

./metashape.sh --server --control 1.2.3.4 --dispatch 1.2.3.4 -platform offscreen

...: error while loading shared libraries: libquadmath.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

The solution was to run:

sudo apt-get install build-essential

(why ubuntu doesn't have this installed as default along with a load of other essencial stuff like ssh server, screen and liklely a bunch of other stuff I havn't failed to stumble on yet, is beyond me)

This still ahsn't fixed the initial problem, which I am still working on.

Alexey Pasumansky

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2019, 09:20:20 PM »
Hello jrp,

We have tried it on clean Ubuntu 14.04.1 Server, and it also works properly after executing:
sudo apt install libglu1-mesa libgomp1 gcc
So there could be something wrong with the installed packages on your original system.

Maybe you can also try executing:
sudo apt-get -f install
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

jrp

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2019, 06:31:34 PM »
Hi, update on this matter. There were some underlying issues with the linux build that became apparent. The machine has been wiped and upgraded to Ubuntu 18.04 and it now seems fine.

Installation of libglu1-mesa was required. I think build-essential may be required, but I didn't test without.