Forum

Author Topic: Import Mesh  (Read 4414 times)

Plasticated

• View Profile
Import Mesh
« on: January 30, 2019, 11:31:35 AM »
Hello,

I am using a demo mode of Metashape at the moment for some testing, and have an issue I cant seem to get around. I would appreciate any guidance as I cant seem to find anything in the forum. I am guessing there is a simple solution with regards to import filetype or possibly with coordinate systems but I would have thought it would still be visible.

I currently have a model of a building façade comprised of 142 photos, I have aligned them successfully, created a dense cloud and then exported this to Cloud Compare and Built/Cleaned a mesh as my memory keeps dropping out when building in Metashape, I have then attempted to bring my mesh back in .stl format. This appears to have imported successfully however I cant get the mesh to be visible on screen.

The software behaves as if the mesh is there, I have a face count, quite high at 20m. So I am looking to decimate this and then texturize it.

I also had the issue with importing a pointcloud that I shot with an SX10, I exported the Metashape cloud and aligned the SX10 data to that then brought it back in to texturise it, but again no import was visible.

If you could please point me in the right direction I would be grateful.

Thanks

Dave Martin

• View Profile
Re: Import Mesh
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 12:07:51 PM »
One possibility is that the bounding box no longer encompasses the imported points. If so, you might find this thread helpful: https://www.agisoft.com/forum/index.php?topic=8679

Dave

Plasticated

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2019, 12:31:15 PM »
thank you< However when I run the script from the link I get this error.

Warning: PhotoScan module is deprecated, use Metashape module instead

Apologies, I am knew to the scripting side of things. I am guessing the new version cant use the older scripts with photoscan references?

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2019, 12:43:19 PM »
Hello Plasticated,

Can you send an example of the exported dense cloud and imported mesh to support@agisoft.com?

I can assume that there might be some issues with the referencing information of the imported mesh that no longer fits the location of the initial alignment.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

Plasticated

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2019, 01:31:14 PM »
Hi Alexy,

Thanks for getting back to me. these are very large datasets 1gb cloud generated on Ultra High setting. The mesh is around 1gb also Please give me some time to trim the quality down to a manageable email size.

Thanks

Alexey Pasumansky

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2019, 01:33:47 PM »
Hello Plasticated,

You can crop the mesh and dense cloud to a very small area, as it is necessary only to check the referencing data.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

Plasticated

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2019, 02:17:10 PM »
Hi Alexey,

I can Set the box on the Dense cloud that was generated by metashape no problem but using the same bounding box for the Mesh pulls the whole Mesh back out again, as does resetting the box and scaling it down it still pulls the whole mesh. if only I could see the mesh to set the box.

I have noticed that when i reset the box on both the mesh and the cloud there is no difference in the box position or size.

However i have sent a section of pointcloud and then decimated the mesh to 200k faces which should allow some comparison. Data to follow

Thanks

Alexey Pasumansky

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2019, 03:36:45 PM »
Hello Plasticated,

Thank you for sending the additional data.

According to the information in the point cloud file, the cloud is referenced in geocentric WGS84 system (EPSG::4978), can you confirm that is has been done for a purpose and not WGS84 (EPSG::4326) should be used for the referencing in your project? Or even some local coordinate system?

The coordinates in the OBJ file with the mesh do not seem to fit the coordinates of the point cloud - the values for X and Y are several millions of units, while altitude is about 1.5 M with the negative sign.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

Plasticated

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2019, 09:45:29 PM »
Alexey thanks for  all your help through the Emails.

For future reference reference i used the following workflow:

Project was created with WGS 84 Coordinate system.

I exported a Local Coordinate .laz into cloud compare and and did not apply a shift.
I then sampled and generated the mesh and exported as a binary STL
I then imported this mesh to Metashape into the same chunk that i brought the point cloud out of However i was still having problems getting the mesh to show, this time I selected all of the cameras and optimized them. Then lo and behold up popped the mesh.

I think the main thing here is the optimizing of the cameras as i had another project where i had re-positioned and scaled SX10 scan data to a metashape produced cloud within Trimble business center and put it through CC into Metashape. for some reason i could not view the mesh, however optimize cameras again worked in this instance as well.