Forum

Author Topic: Drone capture: software for flight plan  (Read 15675 times)

mobilexcopter

• View Profile
    • mobileXcopter
Re: Drone capture: software for flight plan
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2017, 12:10:09 PM »
Ok, I see the reason now  :) If you need ISO100 and camera adds too much noise at higher ISO values, then you are a bit limited.

It's not fast if you are using a good camera and a good lens.  ;) We always aim for the accuracy we need for speciffic job ( a bit better than we need ) and use most appropriate lens for that. But as you said, each equipment has it's operational range.

Will sure try the app you suggested if I get a DJI on my hands.  ;)

Yoann Courtois

• Engineer in Geodesy, Cartography and Surveying
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2017, 12:51:26 PM »
I know I can easily go for 200-400 ISO value without any visible noise. But I want to go further than "visible".

A similar question has to be asked about depth of field. Most of DOF calculators are considering the blur limit as the moment your eyes can see the blurry effect...so when it's "visible".
When you go deeper in DOF calculation and want a sharpness value of 1 pix, you get a depth of field a half or even a quarter of what you got for "visible" blur !

So I'm following the same reasoning for ISO.

Just currently don't have any workflow to quantify the shutter speed limit depending on flight height and UAV speed, to get the same "1 pix" sharpness and avoid moving blur.
--
Yoann COURTOIS
R&D Engineer in photogrammetric process and mobile application
Lyon, FRANCE
--

Ramps

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2017, 04:24:28 AM »
Mobilexcopter

you're right, flixed wing aircraft (manned and unmanned) capture extremely good and sharp images all the time... but they're not 1.5kg ans as good as stable as the Phantom 4's are (and they are amazingly stable) they are more susceptible to a small gust of wind than an aircraft of a few hundred kg. On saying that a phantom 4 is just as susceptible to a gust of wind when hovering than moving, it's just that if you can remove any movement from the aircraft, why not?

I am impressed with the 20mpix camera on the Phantom 4 pro, I would like, for my work, a little longer focal length than the 8.8mm (24mm equiv) but it's yielding phenomenal point clouds and othophotos all the same.  Sure there's no interchangeable lens but then we have complete freedom of height (up to 120m agl of course) so I've had no need for other lenses.  Videographers would have other needs/wants but's not my game

I agree with Yoann as far as app's are concerned, I've tried many (not all) but DJI GSPro does at least as good as anything else, it's free and you have control over camera/aircraft settings ... and for me, very reliable ...which is my primary concern.

mobilexcopter

• View Profile
    • mobileXcopter
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2017, 08:05:40 AM »
Hello Ramps,

I was not referring to fixed wing, but a quad multirotor with previous posts and taking pictures on the go so we can cover a decent area with one battery.  If you need to cover smaller areas or have the time to change batteries then it doesn't matter how fast you fly or if you stop every time you need to take a photo ( we did so when we started with drone photogrammetry  5 years ago ) . But for larger areas or areas like open quarries when you need to take account of light and shadows changing fast, you need to do the job as fast as you can.

As I wrote, every hardware or software has it's limits and if you found the one that offers what you need it is great. Will try the GSPro when I get my hands on a DJI  ;)

SAV

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2017, 08:27:32 AM »
@Ramps

DJI's Inspire 2 and the brand new Matrice 200/210 series can both carry a X5S camera which supports an array of lenses with different focal lengths.
More details here: http://www.dji.com/zenmuse-x5s

Cheers
SAV

Jimdow528@gmail.com

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2019, 01:50:48 AM »

James Dow <jimdow528@gmail.com>

I have developed a new waypoint generator for producing gently curved, convergent, non-traditional drone (and piloted aircraft) flight paths to a) mitigate the systematic Structure-from-Motion doming/dishing (elevation error and b) provide a diversity of view perspectives.

I have attached 2 examples of curved mission plans (for a fixed-wing long-endurance) drone to illustrate the concept:  1) long narrow corridor and 2) large area.

If you might be interested in including this capability in your mission planning capabilities, please contact me via email at jimdow528@gmail.com

Thanks

Jim Dow

Jimdow528@gmail.com

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2019, 01:51:40 AM »

James Dow <jimdow528@gmail.com>
Attachments
4:07 PM (22 minutes ago)
to contact

I have developed a new waypoint generator for producing gently curved, convergent, non-traditional drone (and piloted aircraft) flight paths to a) mitigate the systematic Structure-from-Motion doming/dishing (elevation error and b) provide a diversity of view perspectives.

I have attached 2 examples of curved mission plans (for a fixed-wing long-endurance) drone to illustrate the concept:  1) long narrow corridor and 2) large area.

If you might be interested in including this capability in your mission planning capabilities, please contact me via email at jimdow528@gmail.com

Thanks

Jim Dow

Kiesel

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2019, 10:49:02 AM »
Hi Jim Dow,

sorry can't see any attachments.

Kiesel

Jimdow528@gmail.com

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2019, 06:57:31 PM »
I'll try and upload the attachments here.

Jimdow528@gmail.com

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2019, 07:03:49 PM »
I tried to load another image; but it was too large to post.
Visit this website www.immersivegeomaticssolutions.com and go to "What we do" / "FODAR" / "Curved Flight Lines"