Forum

Author Topic: SIFTGPU and Bundle Adjustment on the GPU  (Read 10222 times)

olihar

• View Profile
SIFTGPU and Bundle Adjustment on the GPU
« on: May 15, 2011, 04:35:01 PM »
I am wondering about SIFT/SURF and Bundle adjustment used by Photoscan.

As far as I can tell these 2 steps are both on the CPU and both multi-threaded.

Are you guys looking into having an option to move theses things onto the GPU to make them many times faster?

SIFTGPU
http://www.cs.unc.edu/~ccwu/siftgpu/

MultiCoreBundleAdjustment
http://grail.cs.washington.edu/projects/mcba/

I am curious as for example SIFT seems to pretty slow in Photoscan, but I guess that mainly because it is extracting a lot of points using High as value.

ju523m

Re: SIFTGPU and Bundle Adjustment on the GPU
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 05:30:17 PM »
Hi olihar,

on my linux box photoscan is using CPU AND GPU (nVidia GeForce 9600GT) and tiepoint detection and matching is not slower than SIFTGPU. I experienced that photoscan bundle adjustment is much faster than with other SfM packages and the resulting 3D Model is of higher quality. I am using only Photoscan standard edition, which works fine for me.

I would like to ask where you found the information, that photoscan uses SIFT and / or SURF feature detection?

kind regards
thomas

olihar

• View Profile
Re: SIFTGPU and Bundle Adjustment on the GPU
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 05:36:17 PM »
Hi olihar,

on my linux box photoscan is using CPU AND GPU (nVidia GeForce 9600GT) and tiepoint detection and matching is not slower than SIFTGPU. I experienced that photoscan bundle adjustment is much faster than with other SfM packages and the resulting 3D Model is of higher quality. I am using only Photoscan standard edition, which works fine for me.

I would like to ask where you found the information, that photoscan uses SIFT and / or SURF feature detection?

kind regards
thomas

As far as I can tell Photoscan is only using the GPU on one of the steps in its workflow. Thats the surface reconstruction.

Well it has been stated here that Photoscan uses something similar to what other software packages use. So I was taking a shot it was some kind of SIFT/SURF variation.