Forum

Author Topic: Reconstruction Anomaly  (Read 6305 times)

KEgg

• View Profile
Reconstruction Anomaly
« on: May 02, 2011, 01:37:15 PM »
I've taken my resulting output and imported it to my CG package of choice so I could smooth down some of the high frequency noise that occurs within the re-con without loosing detail. On running a relax to the whole mesh I noticed a tare had occurred. On closer inspection to the wire-frame I noticed what seems overlapping and double faces on the mesh, where you'd think it wouldn't have an issue on merging/welding the vertices's together. The anomaly take the form of vertical and horizontal lines on the mesh.

Link to example of anomaly ::

http://www.pasteall.org/pic/show.php?id=11814

best regards

Mike

Dmitry Semyonov

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
Re: Reconstruction Anomaly
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 09:57:13 PM »
Hello Mike,

PhotoScan reconstructs 3D mesh in blocks when Exact method is used. The anomaly you have observed appears on the block boundaries.

All other reconstruction methods process the model as a whole, and do not introduce such artifacts. I would recommend using Smooth method for geometry reconstruction if such splitting is undesirable.

We are currently improving the Exact reconstruction method so that it doesn't split the model during processing. This improvements will be included in the next PhotoScan update.

With best regards,
Dmitry Semyonov
AgiSoft LLC
With best regards,
Dmitry Semyonov
Agisoft

KEgg

• View Profile
Re: Reconstruction Anomaly
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 08:23:33 PM »
That sounds excellent.

Don't suppose you could support a method of smoothing, to help remove some of that high frequency noise when building with exact method, that can be applied to a resulting chunk at anypoint of the workflow? Have noticed quite a huge reduction in quality when combining chunks to become a final model, and if there is some sort of automatic smoothing being applied at the end of the process, I'd love to have some control over it.

Cheers

Mike