Forum

Author Topic: Low Resource Usage in new setup  (Read 1900 times)

mrc

• View Profile
Low Resource Usage in new setup
« on: February 12, 2019, 09:43:00 AM »
I have had to partially rebuild a computer, specs are basically: Intel I7 8th Gen 4.2Ghz, 48GB DDR 4, nVidia GTX 1060 6G.

I processed one set of images, and the alignment stage was nice and quick, however I recently went to process a second set (375 x 24MP JPEG) and the alignment stage seems to have slowed. I opened resource monitor and also nVidia monitor, and the GPU is barely being used - sitting at 4%. CPU and RAM usage are also low - in fact the system doesn't appear to being fully utilised at all.

Anything else I can check?

Dave Martin

• View Profile
Re: Low Resource Usage in new setup
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2019, 10:27:58 AM »
MRC,

The subject of how Windows reports GPU usage has been covered on this board a number of times, I've just done a quick search for "GPU usage" and this is one of the posts that describes how to monitor GPU when used as a computation engine:
https://www.agisoft.com/forum/index.php?topic=10104.msg46086#msg46086

Dave

mrc

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2019, 01:20:28 PM »
Thanks Dave,

I actually posted the wrong screenshot - I meant to post the one which had the Compute objects shown.

What I just realised when I went to recreate it, is that there is also a CUDA object now. I think it must have been added when I updated the drivers. Originally my performance monitor layout had the various compute objects, and the total GPU chart showed close to 100% usage. When I ran the next model, it must have updated something as the total GPU monitor object is now at 4% and the Compute charts show no activity.

However the CUDA chart is jumping from about 50-90% while processing. I think this must have been a driver change that has changed the chart object display.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Michael

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 01:47:49 PM »
Hello Michael,

Note that not every processing task in Metashape supports GPU acceleration. The list of GPU-supported jobs are:
- image matching (first phase of Align Photos operation),
- build depth maps (first phase of dense cloud generation),
- build mesh (only when Depth Maps are selected as a source),
- refine mesh (can be called from Tools menu, usually not included to the common processing workflow).

If you are looking on the processing log, it is quite easy to see, whether the GPU is used. In the beginning of GPU supported stages you can see the initialization lines for the available graphic processing devices.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC