Forum

Author Topic: Identification and removal of redundant photos  (Read 2513 times)

willfig

• View Profile
Identification and removal of redundant photos
« on: February 13, 2019, 06:35:17 AM »
Is there any way to identify cameras (photos) that may be redundant so they can be eliminated prior to building a dense cloud?

We build models of corals to evaluate changes over time.  In some situations (usually low light/underwater visibility) we are having to collect a very high number of photos to be sure we come back from the field with enough to build models.  After we cull the blurry ones we are often left with a very high number (600+) of a single coral.  Even on our processing network some of these take two-four days for just one coral.  I think this is because of the very high overlap in all these photos.

So I'm looking for some automated tools to reduce the number of photos.  Options:
1. Randomly disable some percent.  Not ideal but could work.  Is there a tool or existing python script to do this?
2. Disable every Xth photo.  Again, tool or script for this?
3. Based on sparse alignment, use camera position and angle to determine which are redundant.  The ideal would either rank them and then allow you to select some number to highlight and disable, or you could tell it how many you want to keep and it would highlight the best ones to disable as they are most redundant.  I suspect no such tool exists but wonder if there is anything with python scripting that could be done here?

Thanks for the help.

Will

Paulo

• View Profile
Re: Identification and removal of redundant photos
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 07:37:57 AM »
Hi Will,

in latest version, there is Plan Motion Tool (previously Optimize Coverage in 1.4) that  lets you select Optimize Coverage step so that program disables any unecesary photos and thus you can process only with a reduced set of enabled photos….

You must first have a crude 3D mesh (from sparse cloud) to run tool….

In attached screen shots you can see that tool reduced number of photos by more than 50% after running tool….

Best Regards,
Paul Pelletier,
Surveyor

willfig

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 08:36:39 AM »
Hi Paulo,

That's great information.  Thanks so much.  I've not upgraded to Metashape yet.  You say this feature is present in version 1.4 as "Optimize Coverage"?  I'm not having any luck finding that.  Do you know where in the menu items I can find it?

Will

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2019, 12:22:30 PM »
Hello Will,

Optimize coverage command has been implemented in the version 1.5.0. In the version 1.5.1 it has been moved to Plan Motion dialog where is available as one of the possible stages (can be used separately from other stages of plan motion tool).
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

willfig

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2019, 01:14:44 PM »
I see.  Ok, I'll check that out as it sounds like it will do what I'm after.  Thanks so much.