Forum

Author Topic: Really disappointed with metashape  (Read 2813 times)

Arkifabio

• View Profile
Really disappointed with metashape
« on: April 03, 2019, 07:45:50 PM »
I'm really disappointed with metashape and lack of feedback from the development team on the problem of slowing the decimation of the mesh.
I tried photoscan and then other software, all with sets of over 200 images and I always managed to get good results in acceptable times.
Now, after the purchase of standard metashapes, I find that it is practically unusable with a set of just 94 images due to the inexplicable slowing of the decimation phase.
I tried with different PCs but the problem remains and I have not yet obtained a usable mesh.
At this point, I can't do anything but change software ... too bad for the money already spent ... and advise anyone not to use Metashape.

Mak11

• View Profile
Re: Really disappointed with metashape
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2019, 08:35:13 PM »
Given that you bought the software... Do you at least submit a support ticket and send your problematic project to the team?

Mak

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2019, 09:04:54 PM »
Hello Arkifabio,

Sorry for not answering in your thread.

I'm calculating a model with  metashape standard edition, 127 drone photographs, medium quality.
Everything is fine until the generation of the dense point cloud, acceptable times despite a gpu nvidia Quadro K1000 but I have problems at the time of the generation of the mesh that becomes very slow at the time of decimation, once the generation is finished (about 3 hours), the console foresees about 3 days and 15 hours, and the system uses all the ram and 95% of the hard disk, with a low CPU usage
The system is a dell precision m4700, i7, 32 gb ram, hd ssd samsung.
What can I do to reduce the time for decimation?

Usually for better understanding of the issues we ask for the processing log related to the operation and some additional information regarding the project and processing parameters used. In this particular case it would be helpful to have the information regarding the resolution of images and number of points in the dense cloud.

You have mentioned that the CPU activity is close to 0%, but if the RAM is fully used, it means that the processing is using disk swap due to insufficient RAM to complete the operation.
You can skip decimation phase for Arbitrary surface reconstruction option by using 0 value for custom face count field.

If it is possible, you can send the project with the dense cloud to us and specify the processing parameters used for the mesh generation, so that we could check the memory consumption and see, if there are any issues with the project/processing that causes high RAM usage.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

Arkifabio

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2019, 09:56:19 AM »
Thanks for the answer Alexey, and sorry for the outburst  :D  but I was really frustrated.
How can I send you the project? in which format?
Thank you

Alexey Pasumansky

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2019, 10:08:13 AM »
Hello Arkifabio,

You can re-save the project in PSZ format (Metashape Archive) via Save As option in File menu and send it via any file sharing transfer to support@agisoft.com.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

Alexey Pasumansky

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2019, 10:37:07 PM »
Hello Arkifabio,

Thank you for providing the project file. Can you please specify, which settings have you used for the mesh generation?

I've tried to generate the mesh from the dense cloud in the provided project (Using Arbitrary surface type) and the memory consumption peak during the operation was about 30 GB. The consumption can be reduced, if you shrink the bounding box, use Depth Maps based mesh reconstruction or using Height Field surface type (the latter will produce 2.5D surface).
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 06:08:32 PM by Alexey Pasumansky »
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC