Forum

Author Topic: Exporting model results in very coarse 'bands' (almost like Minecraft...)  (Read 1850 times)

cjdavies

• View Profile
I have a model of a mosque in Tanzania that is a combination of aerial photos captured by a drone (with GPS EXIF data) plus spherical photos captured inside by a 360 camera. The results look great in Agisoft, however when I export it the model is comprised of very coarse bands. This happens regardless of format (OBJ, STL, etc.), regardless of what program I use to view the file (Meshmixer, Slic3r, etc.) & regardless of the quality setting of the export (at default 'binary encoded' the file is just over 100MB, if I uncheck that box & enter '10' for quality the file is around 1GB but looks exactly the same).

I have successfully exported a model of a different building from this same trip, using the same settings, but which was just aerial photos, so I assume the problem has something to do with the fact that this time around I have two merged chunks from different cameras, one with location EXIF & one without, one a frame camera & the other equirectangular, etc.?

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
Hello cjdavies,

Which coordinate system you have used for the export?

One of the most probable reason of such issue is export in UTM projection with large X and Y values (millions of meters), while the post-processing application is keeping coordinates in float (8bit) format, some digits are truncated.

If that is the case, I can recommend to use Shift option on export to subtract the same value from XY coordinates of the mesh vertices.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

cjdavies

• View Profile
I have tried both local & WGS 84. How do I know what to input into the shift XY boxes?

Edit - I found a solution here that lets me simply reset the transform, which is fine for the purposes of producing a model suitable for 3D prining.

https://www.agisoft.com/forum/index.php?topic=9298.0
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 01:52:12 PM by cjdavies »