Forum

Author Topic: metashape trial wont launch and freezes up PC win 7 64bit pro  (Read 5393 times)

Steve003

• View Profile
Hi,  I have just installed Metashape 64bit demo , I was running Photoscan perfectly ok yesterday. I create shortcut to the exe file, double click it, get a black dos type window, task manager unable to end task metashape, I am even unable to close down PC, I eventually get PC shutting down, but it wont after 5 mins shut down, I have to hold power button in, if I was running raid this would lose all synchronisation and mean a total PC rebuild. This prog needs testing on a win7 64bit pro pc with anything that might mess it up, inc norton, kaspersky and others.  What a cock up !
I have spent ages creating photo sets to test this on and its messed up the pc instead. Photoscan never did this.

Also there is nothing on the agisoft website to say what operating systems this works with, and nothing to warn of potential problems and what to do to get it to run.

I have added agisoft folder to excluded list Kaspersky. then run metashape and yet again we get the black dos box, which I cant X close, PC is locked up.
I have had to reinstate the acronis backup made just prior, glad I did do that. I shouldnt be having to do a restore after installing Agisoft.

This is terrible, so disappointing, had hoped to buy metashape.

will this metashape in theory run on win7 64bit pro ?

How can I get this to run, someone mentioned that the beta version solved this for them, where is that beta version ?

Steve
« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 09:07:05 PM by Steve003 »

Mak11

• View Profile
Re: metashape trial wont launch and freezes up PC win 7 64bit pro
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2019, 11:56:13 PM »
Hi,  I have just installed Metashape 64bit demo , I was running Photoscan perfectly ok yesterday.

Which version of Photoscan were you running ? Demo version ? Paid/activated ? (if so why install demo of Metashape given that it's a free upgrade to ¨Photoscan? You could also create a support ticket directly with the Agisoft Team if you are a paid costumer of Photoscan)

Did you uninstall Photoscan prior to installing Metashape ?

Yes, Metashape perfectly works Win 7 64bit Pro. Also make sure to update your GPU drivers.

Mak

Steve003

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2019, 11:10:55 PM »
Hi,
I was running demo mode Photoscan 1.2.6 build 2834 thus I needed to install metascan and not upgrade to it.

I didnt uninstall photoscan before installing metashape as I saw no instructions to do so.

I then installed 3DF Zephyr but it said CUDA not found, so installed CUDA 10.1 from Nvidia and this also updated the driver from 372.9 to 418.96 causing problems with my flight sim. before reinstating my C drive backup I tried for metashape again.
I had also unblocked popups in Firefox for Autodesk which also refused to install, and installed both without kaspersky running. Whilst Autodesk still wouldnt install a third exe ( 3 exe's it required) at least metashape then ran...hooray.  :)

However the same photos and settings I used in photoscan saw it unable to centre view, zoom the object, it was as if it was installed on a win 3.1 machine !  :'(
Photoscan was slick fast, as if the object was lightweight. :)

I am Intel core i7 4790 3.6GHz  32Gb DDR Corsair Vengeance Pro ram GTX970 4Gb ram

as such Metashape was no use for viewing and editing the object, removing unwanted points etc, just could not navigate the 3D window.  :'( :-\ Photoscan is far better on my pc. :)

If Win7 64bit pro works with metashape, why is it that slow ?

I exported the object as obj to see what it had created in a CAD prog.

Opened it into Rhino3D and oh dear its a disaster,  :-\ its as if its made a top and bottom of the object then fused them together side by side, yet its the same object same settings as in photoscan which gave very good result especially considering that I didnt use masks on this test, I wanted a prog that handled what you get rough and ready when on site with museum ceilings , variable photo quality with flash, poor DoF and blurs and cables running across photos.

I expected metashape to improve on the photoscan model and as such I am gutted I had these issues after I got it to run.

I am now back with old driver as I need the flight sim operational. Photoscan made a really nice job of another exhaust stack in 1hr 38mins and meshroom took 2hr 34 .
Why was metashape so incapable of zoom and rotate and centre view with CUDA and up to date driver ?
Now I am unable to run it, either way it was not good for me, and I so wanted it to be.

Steve

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2019, 01:52:15 PM »
Hello Steve,

What is the range of the NVIDIA drivers that are accepted by the other applications that you are using? I would recommend to use either driver 382.53 from the older ones, or 399.07 or newer.

If you are still experiencing the navigation issues in the model view, please provide the output from the Console pane, specify, if the Object or Terrain navigation mode is enabled in the Model Menu.

Hard computer crashes and freezes, blue screens are common indication of the issues with hardware or drivers.

In case you have issues with the data processing, please provide the parameters, processing log and the screenshot of the results both from PhotoScan (that you find acceptable) and Metashape (that is not good).
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

Steve003

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2019, 10:49:13 PM »
Hi Alexey,

What is the range of the NVIDIA drivers that are accepted by the other applications that you are using? I would recommend to use either driver 382.53 from the older ones, or 399.07 or newer.
3DF Zephyr spec doesn’t mention a driver range, it does say CUDA is good to have.
AliceVisionMeshrom again I can’t see indication of drivers though DepthMap requires CUDA.
Blender Mesh editor no driver range indicated.
Meshmixer  no indication of a driver range.
Meshlab no indication of a driver range.

My testing was:-
Backup PC, it was running photoscan demo 1.2.6 demo only.
Install Metashape, launch fail, PC froze, hot power off., reboot
Add Agisoft to exclusion folder Kaspersky, try again, still fail.
Install AliceVisionMeshroom, it launched. Run it, it stopped 60% into project.
Install 3DF Zephyr, it said CUDA not found.
Install Autodesk ReCap, it asked for a further download of recap, which wouldn’t install.
Install CUDA toolkit 10.1 it updated driver from 372.90 to 418.96
Install Visual C++ 2015 
Install 3DF Zephyr again, it installed. It ran. Made a mess though of a project photoscan had done pretty well on.
Install Autodesk extra ReCap exe again, still wouldn’t install. (recap had 3 exe files, all a bit odd really)
Installed Metashape, see if it needed CUDA and latest driver, it ran, but would not allow re-centre or pan, was exceptionally slow, no zoom much. As if on an ancient PC, Exported model examined it in Rhino, total mess. So even if it runs its no use. Something wrong !
To see if CUDA was successfully installed, I restored PC back to pretesting stage.
Installed Metashape again, same issue, black DoS screen and froze PC.
Installed CUDA  Install Visual C++ 2015  and Visual Studio 2015  etc.
Installed 3DF Zephyr, and it didn’t say CUDA not found so CUDA is operational ! it runs.
Installed Metashape, this time it wouldn’t run, same black Dos panel and PC freeze up, task Mgr unable to close it. Hot shut down.
Install Autodesk Recap start with the exe it asked for , it installed this time, program runs. Most confusing and frustrating win8 type  interface no idea how to load photos, looks nothing like youtube tutorial.
Uninstall metashape, Install Photoscan 1.4.5 it runs, test on my test projects.

If you are still experiencing the navigation issues in the model view, please provide the output from the Console pane, specify, if the Object or Terrain navigation mode is enabled in the Model Menu.

I am unable to get metashape to run so cannot do so.

Hard computer crashes and freezes, blue screens are common indication of the issues with hardware or drivers.

I have not had PC freeze up, before metashape, only Metashape did this, the black dos window has not even the ability to type exit into it, it refuses to close, I cannot end task it, and nothing else is clickable, only option is hold power button in. After doing this a few times on attempts to install and run Metashape, I had a blue screen fault 000000F4, I have had three of these now since Christmas, a reboot sees PC operational. I intend to run checkdisc on each of my disks, suggestion it might be out of date graphics driver obviously not true as it did BSOD with the latest driver !  All progs of mine run, all the test progs ran, I have many progs, the only prog to ever not run has been metashape.

In case you have issues with the data processing, please provide the parameters, processing log and the screenshot of the results both from PhotoScan (that you find acceptable) and Metashape (that is not good).
I will email you the screenshots from photoscan and from metashape.
I can access my email only after I reinstate my backup, as whilst I am testing if I open email I am then making out of date the backup. I can uninstall reinstall etc knowing that I can revert to a pre messed up PC should any uninstalling leave bits lying about !
I have found that CUDA 2nd time didn’t mess up flight sim, though MetaShape wouldn’t run, and loading on the 11 april driver (latest) SIM still worked ok, and Metashape still wouldnt run, so after I reinstate backup I will add CUDA and Visual C++ 2015  and Visual Studio 2015  etc.
I will however read into this Visual stuff as certainly I felt as if I was being taken over by what I saw of Visual Studio, I like to have things IF THEY ARE OF USE TO ME, AND VITAL.
One should run with latest driver, though I tend to go with what works , why I stayed with 372.90 as sometimes latest might have a problem a previous one didn’t have. If latest solves the ‘tearing’ on verticals in my videos when panned I will be happy.

Steve003

Alexey Pasumansky

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2019, 10:10:21 PM »
Hello Steve,

For me it still looks like some system/hardware issue.

As for the black "dos" screen, you can try running application in ANGLE compatibility mode (metashape.exe --opengl angle) to check if the problem is related to the graphic card. In case it is the firewall/antivirus issue, you can disconnect from the Internet, tuen off firewall and antivirus and try starting the application. If it starts disable automatic check for updates.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

Steve003

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2019, 12:15:53 AM »
Hi, I must get this to run as 1.4.5 on ultrahigh densepoint cloud took all night to make a cloud, and on high mesh was able to show bolt thread and tyre number.
ran it again on high and high and that detail was lost. I need something better than high but not that takes 7 hours for dense point cloud.
looking at promo pics metashape has more definition than photoscan., I must get it to run having paid for it.

I back up PC again, then add latest windows updates, then install latest GTX970 driver.

1) I unplug internet and exit Kaspersky internet security (KIS).
2) install metashape,
3) reboot pc and  turn off KIS again.
4) launch metashape, it runs !  :)
5) close metashape, turn on KIS,
6) launch metashape, black dos window, so with KIS on it fails, PC locked up, try all ways, get total black screen, hot power off PC  :'(
7) reboot PC turn off KIS, launch metashape but this time despite KIS being off, I get just that empty dos screen, WHY IS THAT ???  failure gets remembered and applied thereafter to every launch, PC locked up again  :'( get jet black screen exiting metashape via taskbar.
8) powerbutton off PC, reboot PC, uninstall metashape std, reboot pc , turn off KIS, launch photoscan 1.4.5 oh heck, now a black dos box for that as well. unable to shutdown PC, power button it off. what the heck is this agisoft prog doing to me.
9) reboot, install metashape again and reboot pc.
10) turn off KIS, so we are now at step 3) so it should run, launch metashape BLACK DOS BOX PC FROZEN AGAIN.  so as said the pc somehow now has remembered it did this and does it again. The only way to remove that memory is to revert PC to a backup made just prior to all this.

This just should not be !!!!!!!  :'( :'( :'( :'(

after another reboot I can get 1.4.5 to run...phew !!!

I see your text about black dos screen, to try running application in ANGLE compatibility mode (metashape.exe --opengl angle) I right click the exe and go to compatability tab but see no ANGLE option.  I alter name of exe to what you have written but of course it then asks to be opened by  a program offering photoshop and others.
What in more detail do I have to do with ANGLE compatibility mode (metashape.exe --opengl angle)

If I can get metashape to run I can turn off check of updates but I am in a catch 22 situation I need it to run to do that which will then run it !

no option but to revert PC back to prior install.
Install metashape, unplug internet turn off KIS Metashape LAUNCHES. now I can turn off check for updates, it launches again after shutting metashape down.
reboot pc, KIS is on, launch metashape, it fails and locks up PC, reboot and turn KIS off, launch metashape, it still fails, locks up pc.

so that setting made no difference and now KIS ON or OFF makes no difference.

why is it that metashape wont run and photoscan will ? In all my 30 yrs of being with PCs I have never had this issue. Its doing something that its predecessors normally dont do, that photoscan also had a moment there is worrying.  I run many progs but never had this.

Steve
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 03:38:25 AM by Steve003 »

Steve003

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2019, 03:27:26 PM »
Hi,
I can report back that after trying further steps as it seems KIS has a part to play in this, I looked at all ways possible of excluding Agisoft from the attentions of KIS !
I found two places to add the agisoft folder, so ignoring anything agisoft ! just incase adding just the .exe wasnt enough. This must be affecting anyone with KIS, I have the latest version 18.0.0.405(l)
I then launched Metashape AND IT RAN !!!!  :) :) :) :)
see attached image of settings in KIS

I ask you alter the instruction in the install section of the pdf manual for 1.5, see attached....give steps to adding agisoft folder to all possible exclusion settings in KIS.
 Contact KIS  there might be other settings I havent found yet.
Anyone with raid setup would have had the hot power offs I had to do, wreck the pc requiring hours of setting up raid config again. I know as I used to run raid and hot power off was a death blow.
I ask that Agisoft liaise with KIS and other virus progs on this., as turning off check for updates simply isn't enough. I have never had such lockup oof a PC with other progs, even ctrl alt del showed nothing.

Steve

Alexey Pasumansky

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2019, 11:26:49 AM »
Hello Steve,

Glad to hear that the issue has been finally resolved.

We'll see, if we could do anything on our side in respect of whitelising the application by antiviruses.

Can you, by the way, specify the version of KIS you have installed, just for case we could reproduce the problem on our side?
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

Steve003

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2021, 03:09:39 AM »
Hi,

sorry didnt spot the reply, as mentioned, I am running KIS 18.0.0.405

Steve