Forum

Author Topic: MetaShape Mesh Generation Failure  (Read 3175 times)

lunagolya

• View Profile
MetaShape Mesh Generation Failure
« on: May 22, 2019, 04:16:27 PM »
Hi,

I know this is a pretty common issue but I'm unable to generate a mesh for 804 aligned photos. I only have 16GB Ram but I used to be able to generate models in Photoscan with 16GB even if it took 3 days to run. I first attempted to build a dense cloud but that ran out of memory after 14 hours. So I tried to go straight to build mesh. That also ran out of memory but it create depth maps. So I tried again to build a mesh this time re-using the depth maps. It ran for over 32 hours, built all the part but ran out of memory generating the mesh. The log said Error: Bad Allocation. I don't have Admin rights so adjustments to drivers or settings will require that I provide instructions to the IT people. I've attached the 32 hour log and a screen shot of the project. Thanks, Greg

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
Re: MetaShape Mesh Generation Failure
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2019, 08:06:44 PM »
Hello lunagolya,

16 GB RAM seems to be insufficient for mesh reconstruction from the depth maps using the depth maps of the selected quality.

We are optimizing the depth maps based approach for the mesh generation, but yet it is not fully out-of-core, so you may need to extend the amount of available virtual memory, for example, by increasing the disk swap size.

If you wish, you can share the project with the depth maps with us and will generate the mesh model from it and provide the information regarding the memory consumption peak both for dense cloud and depth maps based approaches.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

lunagolya

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2019, 11:29:02 PM »
I put in an order for 2x16GB RAM and a solid state HD. Hopefully, that will help. How can I share the project? The project folder is 1.27GB. Thanks, Greg

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2019, 03:10:56 PM »
Hello lunagolya,

For the data sharing you can use file sharing service such as WeTransfer or DropBox, for example, and send the download link to support@agisoft.com. Alternatively we can create FTP account for you.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

lunagolya

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2019, 07:01:25 PM »
Great! Let me check on Dropbox. My gov network may block it. We are scheduled to get a beefy workstation specifically for photogrammetry so our processing capabilities will improve, hopefully sooner than later.