Forum

Author Topic: The most effective way to make a scan from many photos?  (Read 2443 times)

Brit

• View Profile
The most effective way to make a scan from many photos?
« on: June 28, 2019, 03:27:11 PM »
 I just returned from a trip where I let my laptop render for one and a half days. Photoscan said upon returning that I needed another 9 hours more to complete the scan. However I didn't have nine hours since I I needed to catch a train within 3 hours.

This scan was a record for me with 380 photographs. What is the most efficient way of completing such a scan on different multiple  overnight sessions? Can I divide it into chunks? If so, is there a good video link to how to achieve this? I have ot found any so far that are easy to understand. Any suggestions? Thank you in advance.

Brit

• View Profile
Re: The most effective way to make a scan from many photos?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2019, 08:54:24 PM »
Really. No one knows??

rossnixon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2019, 03:33:43 AM »
Your question is strange. What do you mean by make a scan? Do you mean produce an orthophoto?

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2019, 01:21:22 PM »
Hello Brit,

The only way that I see that would allow to keep the intermediate processing results and continue the same task later is using Network Processing feature in Professional edition:
- run server and node instances on the same computer (laptop), then submit the processing task from the application GUI,
- when you are about to stop the current processing "session", put the task on Pause via Agisoft Network Processing Monitor, wait till the node finishes the current sub-task (or just disconnect the node, if you don't care to loose some time to start the same sub-step later), save the Batches list to json file via Monitor,
- next time when you are ready to continue the processing, start the server and node again, load saved Batch list via Monitor and continue the processing.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

Brit

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2019, 07:49:09 PM »
Thanks.

Since the professional version is way beyond my budget, I'll stick to waiting another 6 hours for the dense cloud complete,processing. I can do the processing  when I plan be away from my laptop for the 30 hours needed to complete it.

However I had thought that dividing the processing into "chunks" might work in allowing to separate the job into two.

Although I have used this software fairly successfully for about 6 years, I never really understood what a "chunk" is or how to use it. I read the instructions and searched for videos but I haven't yet for a definition of the word, "chunk" ...or how to use them...and if they can be used to simply divide the project into two parts. Do they need to be in 2 halves, by somehow gathering all photos from one half and then the other?