Forum

Author Topic: Duplicate chunk in Pscan 1.4.5 and see depth maps yet dont exist until metashape  (Read 2109 times)

Steve003

• View Profile
Hi,
suprised to see when duplicating a chunk, a greyed out option to include depth map, (also key points greyed out) and ticked are dense points and model,  as they (depth maps)  dont exist until metashape why are they there ?

Steve

James

• View Profile
there has been an option to keep depth maps for quite a long time and pscan definitely used them.

if the option, in advanced preferences, is not checked then they are discarded after processing which keeps project file size down, which means the option to copy them to duplicated chunks will be greyed out.

Steve003

• View Profile
aha, so depth maps not a new innovation in metashape then. also interesting that using high when building dense point cloud sees the option to reuse depth maps greyed out in mesh stage, . we must use a lower setting.

Steve

Mak11

• View Profile
aha, so depth maps not a new innovation in metashape then. also interesting that using high when building dense point cloud sees the option to reuse depth maps greyed out in mesh stage, . we must use a lower setting.

Steve

???

James

• View Profile
interesting that using high when building dense point cloud sees the option to reuse depth maps greyed out in mesh stage, . we must use a lower setting.

you can only reuse depth maps if the ones you already have were generated at the same 'quality' setting that you are trying to reuse them at.

so if you generate dense cloud or mesh (from depth maps) at 'medium' you will get 'medium' depth maps, which cant be reused for generating dense cloud or mesh (from depth maps) at 'high'.

anyway if you are generating mesh from depth maps then there's no need to build dense cloud.

Steve003

• View Profile
Hi,
you can only reuse depth maps if the ones you already have were generated at the same 'quality' setting that you are trying to reuse them at.
but I had gone workflow>build dense cloud and used high, then saw that I couldnt select reuse depth map when selecting high in build mesh. Depth maps get made in the 'Build dense cloud' process I am told, so if I wish to use qlty high for mesh I must use qlty high for dense cloud stage, I am told.

anyway if you are generating mesh from depth maps then there's no need to build dense cloud.
I dont see an option to build depth map.  In workflow after I have merged chunks, then selected all thumbs and reset camera alignment, the next step is Build Dense Cloud. I use qlty 'high' and depth filtering 'mild' as per Alexei advice.

is my workflow list missing showing me a stage or option ?

Steve003

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
Hello Steve,

Build Dense Cloud operation includes the following steps:
1.1 Build Depth Maps (in user selected quality and depth filtering)
1.2 Building Dense Cloud itself based on available depth maps.

Build Mesh operation with Depth Maps selected as a source includes the following steps:
2.1 Build Depth Maps (by default Mild filtering is used for the user selected quality)
2.2. Building Mesh itself basing on the depth maps.

The depth maps reconstruction process is not available from GUI as a separate step (except for the Python scripting option). So in order to re-use the depth maps during the dense cloud or mesh reconstruction they should be generated (with Build Dense Cloud or Build Mesh using the depth maps source) and stored int he project (Keep Depth Maps option should be enabled in the Advanced Preferences tab prior to the depth maps reconstruction process).
If the depth maps are present it the chunk, you'll see the corresponding line in the chunk's contents in the Workspace pane.

When the depth maps are re-used you would not be able to change the Quality of Filtering - the depth maps would be taken as is.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC