Forum

Author Topic: No license found. Details: Wrong host for license (-4) error when change RAM/HDD  (Read 8338 times)

andyroo

• View Profile
I got the dreaded bad license error on Metashape 1.5.3 after some messing around with hardware. In more detail:

Just shipped a computer to the other coast and it got beat up pretty bad so I lost some RAM (actually a channel on the MOBO). Also pulled all the HDDs except C:\ (Metashape installed on C:\). Anyway, finally got 'er up and running with three new HDDs and launched Metashape to test the GPUs and got the "No license found.
Details: Wrong host for license (-4)" error.

Attempting to generate a new license file for offline activation gave me the error about the host lic. already being on the machine and prompted to delete it. Thought you might want to see it so I didn't.

Attempting to license online gave me the following error:

"unexpected error occurred: can't use activated license. Please contact support@agisoft.com."

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
Hello Andy,

Please send the message to support@agisoft.com regarding this problem and attach the license files that you have in Metashape Pro installation directory.

The problem is related to the hardware components replacement which should be performed only when the license is deactivated, since the activation procedure is keeping some system-related information to validate the license each time the application is started.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

Muroni jean-marc

• View Profile
Hello,
You say : « The problem of licence is related to the hardware components replacement which should be performed only when the license is deactivated, since the activation procedure is keeping some system-related information to validate the license each time the application is started. »

BUT  we can not predict a crash of Windows or hard disk. So we can not have deactivated the license before the crash to be able to reactivate it.

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
Hello Jean-Marc,

If there's an unexpected system failure and the license cannot be deactivated on your side, please contact our support and provide the following information (do not post it on forum):
- first section of the license key,
- name of the reseller or online order number,
- name and email of the contact person.
As an additional information you can provide the disk serial numbers (for Windows system) and mac-address for Linux and Mac OS X systems.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

JRM

• View Profile
Alexey > we had several problems with our computers and our IT dept this year that led to numerous mails, a online way to deactivate a particular key without bothering your support would be great

andyroo

• View Profile
Since I have been impacted several times by this too, but I totally understand Agisoft's need to protect their licensing, I've been thinking about ways that it could be improved. Some thoughts:

1) since support is so good about resetting licenses quickly, but even a small down-time can have a big impact, maybe have a 24 or 48-hour "invalid licensing" timeout feature instead of disabling right away?

2) would it be possible to tie the licensing feature to the motherboard or CPU serial# (or even a single HDD) and more clearly describe that during install (like with an info pop-up) so the user clearly knows what changes will deactivate? I understand this may not be desirable because it also makes it easier to circumvent.

Regardless, I am VERY happy with how Agisoft has handled my multiple license deactivation blunders as I add and subtract storage.

Andy