Forum

Author Topic: Metashape causing crashes and screen flickering  (Read 3197 times)

MikeZ

• View Profile
Metashape causing crashes and screen flickering
« on: July 07, 2019, 11:33:32 PM »
AsRock AB350 Pro4
Ryzen 7 1700X
Vega 64 sapphire
64gb ram
Win 10 PRO x64

I have random crashes during dense generation. The bigger data set the crash seems to be surer. The screen goes black and PC and I need to hard reset it or the screen turns black and my driver software shows error - Agisoft freeze. Not really often but it happened a few times Metashape gave me "crash report" information. But it happens really rare.

So obviously I was not blaming Metashape. I was sure that this is about my card settings/drivers/wiring etc. I checked everything and I have run the stress test. It is 3 hours when CPU and GPU work on 100%. Everything is perfectly stable. I'm gonna let it works for a few more hours but it seems that the problem is unfortunately Metashape.

Last crash was during depth map generation. No more than 6% of RAM used, GPU and CPU cool. Nothing really spectacular. When I launch GPU operation in Metashape screen starts to flicker a little bit also... I'm stressing my GPU to the max and I haven't seen anything like that. Everything works fine, I have issues with stability only with Metashape. Do you have any idea how to solve this problem? As I'm starting to work with bigger data sets (2k photo +) software seems to be completely unusable for me. I can align photos without any problem, I had never crash during this operation. Of course, I have this strange flickering immediately after GPU starts working. I don't know where should I look for a solution.

Best regards,
Mike

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
Re: Metashape causing crashes and screen flickering
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2019, 10:36:06 AM »
Hello Mike,

Have you submitted the crash reports already? Please also confirm, if you are using latest 1.5.3 version.

Also if possible, please open Windows Event Viewer dialog, locate the lines related to metashape.exe marked as "Errors", export the related information to .evtx format and sent to support@agisoft.com.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

MikeZ

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2019, 11:06:00 PM »
I updated to 1.5.3 version.

I had already 3 crashes in a row on the large photo set. The screen goes black, fans in my case works at 100% and it ends with the shutdown. The second type of crash the screen goes black and it returns to the desktop without the rebooting. Metashape is gone - no crash report option, my GPU driver is informing me that values were restored to the defaults. The third one is Metashape hangs - no crash report option too.

As I know that overclocking software can interact with metashape I restored my drivers to the moment that I didn't give permission for Watmann to work. So I assume it doesn't.

This kind of behavior on Vega 64 is known and might be caused by wrong wiring or wrong overclocking in Watmann. So I have checked wiring and restored Watmann to the factory settings. As I mentioned before, the problem is that it appears only when I use metashape. I passed 3 hours stress test of  CPU GPU and RAM  at the same time. No issues. In Event Viewer, there is always a line dedicated to wuauserv service that cannot locate a file. I do sometimes other GPU/CPU extensive tasks like rendering or batch processing. I had never an issue. I went down with my GPU frequency about 200, still crashing. At the same time I have no problem with processing smaller sets like 200 of photos on ultra-high quality. It is strictly connected with the quantity of the photos. The model is an interior with a huge amount of overlapping photos. I think I will do another similar set to test this problem well.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 11:10:06 PM by MikeZ »

Alexey Pasumansky

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2019, 01:24:22 PM »
Hello MikeZ,

Please send to support@agisoft.com the processing logs related to the failed operations (should be re-directed to the external file prior to the processing is started) and the information from the Event Viewer in .evtx format related to the lines that correspond to metashape.exe and are marked with Error sign (should be in Windows Logs -> Application section).

The described behavior looks like the GPU driver related issue.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

MikeZ

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2019, 10:47:08 PM »
Done.

The problem seems to be more and more annoying. Now I have crashes even if I process small sets like 100-500 of photos. I sent the log and windows event viewer files to support. This time my screen went black and after it recovered metashape was not responsive. My gpu controlling software is also dead. I'm more than sure that this issue is related to GPU drivers.

Alexey Pasumansky

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2019, 08:20:51 PM »
Hello MikeZ,

Have you tried a clean driver install? Seems that new version of AMD drivers is released.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC