Forum

Author Topic: Cylinder with overcast shadowing. No solution so far.  (Read 15955 times)

bestable

• View Profile
Cylinder with overcast shadowing. No solution so far.
« on: July 10, 2019, 03:51:36 PM »
Hi

I decided to give this tool a thorough test in my photogrammetry workflow. I shoot objects in nature.
I choose overcast days to shoot for obvious reasons, but general light direction is still present most of  the times.

I created a scene to test this delighting tool- Cylinder rock/concrete object placed at overcast day near a wall so it blocks overcast lighting and creates ambient shadow:

Then all the usual-> import to metashape, generate DenseMesh, Retopo - Create Texture for it.
And we have result I want to Delight:

I was painting strokes for quite a while but could not get a satisfactory results.
Here is the link to Test Cylinder object if anyone is willing to give it a shot.

I am after results comparable to old-school way- delighting in "Unity Delighter" tool (also free):

« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 06:07:08 PM by bestable »

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
Re: Cylinder with overcast shadowing
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2019, 06:23:00 PM »
Hello bestable,

Thank you for sharing the sample model. We'll check, which strokes pattern could be used to improve the results.

By the way, it seems that "Remove Lighting" feature from Metashape Pro does better job with almost default parameters and without AO map.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

bestable

• View Profile
Re: Cylinder with overcast shadowing
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2019, 08:00:24 PM »
Let me know what You find!

Regarding "Remove Lighting" feature- yes I would like that in my Standard version, please.

I barely need anything else from 3100eur Pro version.

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
Re: Cylinder with overcast shadowing. No solution so far.
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2019, 02:36:21 PM »
Hello bestable,

We have updated De-Lighter (available on Downloads page) which now includes the functionality similar to "Remove Lighting" feature from Metashape Pro. It's called "Remove Shading" in the De-Lighter GUI.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

bestable

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2019, 02:39:38 PM »
Great. I will test it asap

bestable

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2019, 04:14:15 PM »
Hi. Thanks for the update. I have tried it again.

After feeding my shared cylinder[1] and choosing Remove Shading (Preview) my first impression was great [2] so I processed the chunk in full resolution.
Sadly, final result is not satisfactory [3].

Have You tried my shared asset from first post?

Anyway I gave it another example- from real shoot. Stump.
It was perfect overcast. Could not expect any better conditions. Anyway there are lighting information that we need to remove[1].
For now I use unity Delighter so that is my benchmark [2]

Let's test Agisoft Delighter.

Original [1] -> RemoveShading [2]
Result was not really good, maybe we need to paint Shadows, Highlights[3] to help it further [4]?  Although texture lighting is unified now, it does not look too good. ;(

So again :

Unity Delighter [1]
Original[2]
Agisoft Delighter[3]

Metashape is very powerful PRO tool. I really want this Delighter Software to be the best it can as well. 
Now I am just doubtful about MetaShape Pro version features and their capabilities.
Anyway Unity Delighter uses much more input data, so that is understandable their result is better.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 05:11:28 PM by bestable »